Addicks draw with Wigan to go to 12 unbeaten

Michael Hector on the ball

Charlton 2 Wigan Athletic 2

The Addicks extended their unbeaten run to 12 on Tuesday night with a 2-2 draw against Wigan Athletic at the Valley.

Charlton made a decent start and could have been ahead as early as the sixth minute, when a raking ball from Terell Thomas found the returning Tennai Watson in behind. The wing back’s header across goal could not be brought down by Alfie May, but Daniel Kanu got on the end of it, only to see his shot blocked well by Scott Smith.

20 minutes in, the Addicks got a huge helping hand. Macaulay Gillesphey’s long ball had Charlie back-peddling to reach it and, under pressure from May, the Latics skipper sliced his clearance up and over goalkeeper Sam Tickle. It was a freak goal, but the Addicks were ahead.

It may have been a slightly fortunate goal, but the home side were good value for their lead and could have added another seven minutes later when May flicked around the corner for George Dobson, but the captain hit the side netting with his shot.

Dobson was involved again in the 43rd minute when he played in Karoy Anderson, but the young midfielder took too long and his eventual shot was blocked by Hughes.

It had been all Charlton in the first half, and they picked up where they left off after the restart, twice going close within the first three minutes.

First, an excellent move culminated in Dobson rolling in Thierry Small, who saw his low shot from a tight angle kept out by the legs of Tickle. 

Then, a minute later, Small returned the favour, but Dobson’s effort from inside the box on the left was deflected onto the post by Hughes.

But the Addicks would be made to rue their missed chances in the 62nd minute when Wigan struck back. Jonny Smith cut inside Gillesphey and saw his left foot shot saved by Harry Isted. Martial Godo’s follow-up was blocked, but fell kindly for Charlie Kelman who touched home from eight yards.

It got worse just four minutes later. Good link up play from Godo and Sean Clare ended with the latter rolling in Kelman, and the striker claimed his second via a deflection off Gillesphey.

But Charlton didn’t blink, going close in the 74th minute when Chuks Aneke turned Small’s cross over from close range.

Five minutes later, Aneke would have his goal when Dobson dug out a cross from the left and the big striker beat Jason Kerr in the air to head home from two yards. It was no more than Nathan Jones’ side deserved.

The Addicks were unable to find a winner but are now on their longest unbeaten streak in 10 years. Next up is a trip to Cambridge United on Saturday afternoon.

Charlton: Isted; Thomas, Hector, Gillesphey (LuaLua 68); T Watson (Ramsay 36), Dobson (c), Coventry, Anderson (Wickham 87), Small; May (Aneke 68), Kanu (Campbell 68)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Bakinson

Goals: Hughes (og) 20, Aneke 79

Assist: Dobson 79

Booked: Hector 21 (dissent), Dobson 55 (foul on Godo), Jones 65 (dissent)

Wigan Athletic: Tickle; Kerr, Goode (Pearce 46), Hughes (c); Clare, S Smith, M Smith, J Smith (McManaman 72); Godo (Adeeko 87), Kelman (Morrison 87), Aasgaard (Sze 73)

Subs (not used): Amos, Sessegnon

Goals: Kelman 62, 66

Assist: Clare 66

Booked: McManaman 90+5 (foul on Thomas)

Attendance: 11,169 (225 away)

Referee: Lee Swabey

Read Time: 3 mins