Charlton and Stevenage share spoils in SE7


Charlton 0 Stevenage 0

The Addicks stretched their unbeaten run into double figures on Monday afternoon, claiming another point in a goalless draw against Stevenage.

In a cagey first half, it took until the 27th minute for either side to register a shot - Alfie May’s curling left-foot effort from the edge of the box which went wide of Taye Ashby-Hammond’s right post.

Up until that point, the best chance of the game had been a dangerous cross from Tennai Watson which evaded everyone and went out for a goal kick.

Just after the half-hour mark, Stevenage had the only other shot of the first period. Nesta Guinness-Walker’s long throw was only partially cleared, but Alex MacDonald’s dipping effort from 20 yards was straight at Harry Isted.

After 45 minutes of very little action, Stevenage had the best chance of the game up to that point just three minutes after the break when they hit the Addicks on the counter-attack. Dan Butler’s cross found Jordan Roberts in the middle, but he could not direct his header on target.

10 minutes after that, the visitors had an even better chance. MacDonald’s cross from the right found Vadaine Oliver at the back post and the substitute headed back across goal, where Jamie Reid was unmarked inside the six-yard box, but he headed over.

Boro had built some momentum but Nathan Jones responded by sending on Chuks Aneke and Tyreeq Bakinson. The latter had made an immediate impact in Friday’s game at Exeter with his cross for the equaliser and he nearly did so again, flicking Thierry Small’s cross just wide with the outside of his right boot.

Stevenage’s best attempts had been headers, and there was still time to add three more - Isted keeping out two efforts from Oliver before Carl Piergianni headed just wide from an 88th-minute Harvey White free-kick.

It was not a classic, but the Addicks claimed a well-deserved clean sheet and now look ahead to another home game against Barnsley on Saturday.

Charlton: Isted; Edmonds-Green, Hector, Thomas; T.Watson (Ness 73), Coventry, Dobson (c), Small; May (Bakinson 69); Kanu, Ladapo (Aneke 62)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Edun, Campbell, LuaLua

Booked: T.Watson 43 (foul on Butler)

Stevenage: Ashby-Hammond; James-Wildin, Vancooten, Piergianni (c), Butler; MacDonald, Burns (Freeman 46), B.Thompson (Oliver 46), Guinness-Walker (L.Thompson 46); Roberts (Hemmings 76), Reid (White 72)

Subs (not used): MacGillivray, N.Thompson

Booked:: Thompson 22 (foul on Kanu), White 88 (foul on Ness)

Attendance: 14,251 (1,043 away)

Referee: Scott Oldham

Read Time: 2 mins