Charlton fall to late Oxford goal

Chem Campbell plays the ball

Oxford United 2 Charlton 1

The Addicks conceded a late winner to lose 2-1 at Oxford United on Saturday afternoon.

Charlton burst out the traps, clearly determined to turn their fortunes around, and had two chances inside the first six minutes. First, Nathan Asiimwe’s powerful shot from the right corner of the box was beaten away by former Addicks academy goalkeeper James Beadle.

Then, Alfie May pinched the ball off Cameron Brannagan to bear down on goal, though again Beadle was on hand to make a save.

But then in the 10th minute that good play was undone by one moment. 

Tyler Goodrham controlled a headed clearance from Elliott Moore, skipped past full league debutant Deji Elerewe and crashed a shot in off the underside of the bar from the edge of the box. There was nothing that Harry Isted, also making his first league start for the club, could do about it.

It turned into a difficult half for Charlton, and in the 38th minute, Goodrham got in behind Corey Backett-Taylor and found himself free inside the box with Mark Harris and Billy Bodin for company. It seemed a simple cutback but the number 19 got it wrong and Asiimwe nipped in to prevent a certain goal.

The second period brought more joy for the Addicks, inspired in part by new man Chem Campbell. The Welshman had been introduced just before the break, and claimed his first Addicks assist just after the hour-mark.

Tyreece Campbell, back from an ankle injury, played in his namesake inside the box on the right, who skilfully went to ground to slide the ball past Brannagan. Back on his feet, Campbell squared to May, whose right-footed shot took a slight deflection off Stephan Negru to take it past Beadle.

Alfie May celebrates

But, despite Charlton putting in a much-improved second half performance, they would suffer a familiar fate. In the 85th minute, after an Addicks corner, Oxford hit on the counter. Rúben Rodrigues played an inch-perfect through ball from the right in behind the Charlton defence for substitute Stanley Mills.

Mills burst into the area and stumbled, allowing George Dobson to put in a challenge, but the skipper saw his tackle divert the ball into the path of Goodrham, who dispatched beyond Isted to claim the three points for the U’s.

Dean Holden’s side now look ahead to hosting Fleetwood at The Valley next Saturday.

Charlton: Isted; Elerewe (C.Campbell 42), Ness (Hector 46), Jones; Asiimwe, Dobson (c), Anderson, Edun (Thomas 83); Blackett-Taylor, May, Kanu (T.Campbell 46)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Taylor, Payne

Goal: May 63

Assist: C.Campbell 63

Booked: Asiimwe 7 (foul on Brown), Dobson 29 (foul on Brannagan), Coaching staff member 45+2 (dissent), Kanu 45+3 (foul on Negru), Anderson 60 (foul on Rodrigues), Jones 74 (foul on Rodrigues), Hector 76 (foul on Rodrigues)

Oxford United: Beadle; Stevens, Moore (c), Negru, Brown (Leigh 78); McGuane, Brannagan, Bodin (Mills 64); Rodrigues, Goodrham, Harris (O’Donkor 88)

Subs (not used): McEachran, Eastwood, Smyth, Murphy

Goals: Goodrham 10, 85

Assist: Moore 10

Booked: McGuane 55 (foul on C.Campbell), Brannagan 78 (foul on May), Mills 82 (foul on C.Campbell)

Attendance: 8,898

Referee: Adam Herczeg

Read Time: 3 mins