Charlton secure pre-season win at Gillingham

Asiimwe celebrates with Campbell

Gillingham 1 Charlton 3

The Addicks made it three pre-season wins out of four with a 3-1 victory over Gillingham at Priestfield on Tuesday evening.

Dean Holden’s side burst out of the blocks and were ahead inside 50 seconds. Alfie May, after scoring on his debut on Friday, turned provider as he received the ball on the halfway line and played in Tyreece Campbell, who held his run perfectly, took it on his chest and coolly slotted under goalkeeper Glenn Morris.

After a few more half chances for Charlton, it was Gillingham who started to grow into the game. With 17 minutes played, ex-Addick Jonny Williams played in Tom Nichols, whose shot was kept out by the chest of Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Six minutes later, the pair combined again and went even closer, Nichols rounding Maynard-Brewer and laying off to another former Addick in George Lapslie, who was denied twice by heroic blocks from Deji Elerewe.

The equaliser would eventually come for the hosts just after the half-hour mark. After George Dobson brought down Nichols 25 yards from goal, Will Wright sent his free-kick over the wall and straight into Maynard-Brewer’s top-left corner.

The Addicks, unchanged in the second half for the first time this pre-season, started the second period almost as quickly as they had begun the first. In the 54th minute, Dobson played a searching ball out to Corey Blackett-Taylor. The number 23, who had the beating of Robbie McKenzie all night, cut inside the right-back and thumped a low shot across goal and into the far corner.

Two minutes later Charlton made it three. Nathan Asiimwe broke down the line and looped a cross into the box, which was headed only as far as Karoy Anderson. The midfielder hit a stinging volley which was saved by Morris, but Jack Payne reacted quickest to slam the ball into the roof of the net from six yards out.

Jack Payne and Alfie May celebrate

The Addicks were now in complete control and just after the hour-mark had the chance to make it four from the penalty spot after May had his heels clipped by Lapslie. The striker stepped up confidently but saw his spot-kick saved by Morris diving low to his right.

Holden made wholesale changes with 20 minutes to go and the new XI were able to comfortably see out the match. Charlton now look ahead to pre-season friendly number five at Wealdstone on Saturday.

Charlton (first 70 mins): Maynard-Brewer (Isted 64); Elerewe, Mitchell, Thomas; Asiimwe, Dobson (c), Anderson, Payne, Blackett-Taylor; May, Campbell

Charlton (last 20 mins): Isted; Egbo, Bakrin, Ness, Roddy; Fraser (c), McGrandles, Henry; Jaiyesimi, Kirk, Kanu

Goals: Campbell 1, Blackett-Taylor 54, Payne 56

Assists: May 1, Dobson 54

Referee: G Ward

Attendance: 2,932 (759 from Charlton)

(Report by Jamie Barton)

There's no place like home! Click here to purchase your 2023/24 season ticket.

Read Time: 3 mins