Penalty defeat in Bristol Street Motors Trophy

Alfie May battles for the ball

Reading 1 Charlton 1 (Reading win 4-2 on penalties)

The Addicks exited the Bristol Street Motors Trophy on penalties on Wednesday night following a 1-1 draw at Reading.

Michael Appleton's side looked to use the pace of their front three to get in behind the home side’s high line early on at the Select Car Leasing Stadium and, in the ninth minute, they nearly reaped the rewards. Scott Fraser pinched the ball in the centre circle and George Dobson was quick to release Alfie May.

May looked to be in but Reading skipper Nelson Abbey did well to get back and deflect the striker’s shot wide.

Speculative efforts from Lewis Wing and Amadou Mbengue would follow, but the best Reading chance of the opening period would come just before the half-hour mark. With the Royals beginning to assert themselves, Ben Elliott’s long ball from the left found Wing unmarked in the box.

The midfielder took a touch before shooting on the volley, but Ashley Maynard-Brewer was quick to get out and make himself big, diverting the ball into the path of Caylan Vickers. The forward had an open goal but pulled his shot wide of the left post.

The miss would prove a turning point in the half. The Addicks, spurred on by energetic full debutant Henry Rylah, grew into the game, culminating in the breakthrough in the 42nd minute.

Michael Hector sent a lovely raking ball from right to left, which was brought down by Tyreece Campbell. The winger beat Mbengue and drilled in a cross which, via a deflection off Wing, found May and the striker made the finish look easy, stroking the ball just inside Joel Pereira’s left post.

Charlton had not had it all their own way in the first period, but they went into the break in front.

The Addicks sprung out of the traps in the second 45, and just as he had been in the first half, May was denied by Abbey nine minutes in. A long ball from substitute Terell Thomas sent the striker in behind again and caught goalkeeper Pereira in no man’s land.

The goalkeeper's attempt to clear fell straight to May, who tried to lob into the empty net from 25 yards out, but saw his effort blocked by the excellent Abbey.

Charlton remained in the driving seat for most of the second half, limiting the Royals to one effort from the edge of the box from Matty Carson which skipped wide. But, with 10 minutes remaining, another speculative effort, this time from substitute Charlie Savage, paid off for the hosts.

Receiving the ball from Elliott 25 yards out, Savage opened up his body and hit a curling left-foot shot into Maynard-Brewer’s top-right corner. It was some strike, and Reading were level.

The match had really opened up, and in the 95th minute Charlton’s went close as Micah Mbick fired wide on the half-volley when sent through by Louie Watson.

With the sides level after 90 minutes, a penalty shootout would follow for a place in the last 16 of the Bristol Street Motors Trophy.

Knibbs went first, scoring straight down the middle. May followed and also opted to go straight, but saw his effort kept out by Pereira.

The next five penalties were all converted, which meant Louie Watson had to score. Unfortunately for the midfielder, his effort clipped the bar and went over.

It was a cruel way for the Addicks to go out, but they will now look ahead to league action against Cambridge United at The Valley on Saturday.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T.Watson, Hector, Jones (Thomas 46), Edun (Asiimwe 71); Dobson (c) (Anderson 71), Fraser, L.Watson; Rylah (Mbick 71), May, T.Campbell (Kanu 86)

Subs (not used): Walker, Casey

Goal: May 42

Assist: T.Campbell 42


Penalties: May (saved), Fraser (scored), Hector (scored), L.Watson (missed)

Reading: Pereira; Mbengue (Carson 46), Bindon, Abbey (c), Mola; Elliott, Wing (Knibbs 65), Hutchinson (Savage 65), Mukairu (Azeez 65); Vickers, Smith (Ehibhatiomhan 77)

Subs (not used): Button, Dean

Goal: Savage 81

Assist: Elliott 81

Booked: Carson 46 (foul on Rylah)

Penalties: Knibbs (scored), Carson (scored), Azeez (scored), Vickers (scored)

Referee: Peter Wright

Read Time: 4 mins