George Jones reports from The Valley

Charlton and Milton Keynes Dons will meet again to determine who reaches the third round of the Emirates FA Cup after Karl Robinson’s first match in charge of the Addicks ended in a goalless draw at The Valley.
In a game of few chances, Charlton had their best chances to win it through Ademola Lookman, who fired a second-half free-kick inches wide of the post before going equally as close with a close-range shot that trickled just off target.

The Dons, who had a goal disallowed for offside after 71 minutes, threatened in the tie’s dying second when Dean Bowditch looked set to win it, only for Andrew Crofts to make a superb, goal-line clearance, meaning that the two sides will do it all again in the next couple of weeks.

In terms of team news, there were two changes from the Addicks’ last match against Sheffield United.

Ezri Konsa came in at right back for Kevin Foley and Jordan Botaka – making his first start for the club – replaced Johnnie Jackson.

The opening chance of the game fell the way of Milton Keynes with 90 seconds on the clock. Bowditch found space between the Addicks’ midfield and defence and broke into the penalty area, he then fed Jake Reeves on the right but no-one in the middle was able to get a meaningful contact on his cross.

Charlton responded by creating a chance of their own almost immediately. Lookman robbed George Baldock of possession on the left and played the ball into the path of Nicky Ajose, but he curled over the bar.

At the other end, Samir Carruthers shot off target and Bowditch then glanced a header over the top, as the visitors made the early running.

Reeves whipped an effort wide of Phillips’ far post on 18 minutes before Ed Upson saw a free-kick deflected easily into the arms of the Addicks goalkeeper.

For all of the Dons’ build-up play, they had failed to really test Phillips but that changed with 22 minutes played. Baldock latched onto a ball forward but he was unable to beat the Charlton stopper from a tight angle, with only him between the ball and the back of the net.

The Addicks were then dealt a blow on the half-hour mark with teenage defender Konsa had to make way with a head injury. He had been caught by the Dons’ Joe Walsh a few minutes earlier and, having not been able to shake off the knock, he was replaced by Jorge Teixeira.

A long throw-in from Josh Magennis created the Addicks’ next chance at goal. Patrick Bauer flicked it on but Jason Pearce missed his kick in the middle.

Milton Keynes threatened on 42 minutes. Reeves fired a low ball across the face of goal and Phillips did well to get a hand on it to push it to safety. The visitors won possession back at the far post and then found Upson in a central possession but he shot over from 30 yards.

Charlton’s best opportunity of the half arrived shortly before half-time. A loose ball dropped for Ajose on the right and Botaka made a lung-busting run down the middle but the former’s through ball was well intercepted by a man in black.

The two sides headed in goalless at the break and it was the Addicks that created the first chance of the season period, and the best of the match so far.

Lookman found himself in a bit of space and he slipped Magennis in on goal. He shot across goalkeeper David Martin but the stopper made a good save with his feet. The loose ball fell for Ajose but it would not come down in time for him to have a strike at goal.

Martin made a comfortable stop from an Ajose strike shortly afterwards and Magennis then had a strike blocked by the Dons’ defence, as Charlton made a bright start to the second 45 minutes.  

Jordan Botaka blazed a strike into the lower tier of the Covered End on 65 minutes and the same man then had a cross into the box cleared away by Walsh.

Phillips denied Bowditch at his near post after the front man had cut in from the left and the Dons then did find a way past the goalkeeper, only to be scuppered by the linesperson’s flag.

Agard was first to react to Lewington’s high ball into the area but, as he headed beyond Phillips and into the net, the flag was raised and the goal was ruled out.

Buoyed by the let-off, Charlton then went within inches of taking the lead themselves. Lookman stepped up to take a free-kick, following a foul on Ajose, and his effort flew just wide of the post.

Lookman came even close five minutes from time. Magennis did brilliantly to wriggle away from two Dons defenders and after finding Lookman the teenager dropped his left shoulder and sent a shot just wide of the far post.

The Addicks introduced Brandon Hanlan and Lee Novak as the clock struck 90 and the two immediately combined to create a chance for their side. The latter flicked into the path of Hanlan and he raced forward before dragging a shot wide.

At the other end, the Dons then had a golden opportunity – and the final opportunity - to win the tie. Substitute Daniel Powell broke down the left and squared for Bowdtich, he missed his kick, the loose dropped for Ryan Colclough, who scuffed his strike, and Bowditch then shot goalwards but Crofts made an incredible block on the line to keep his side in the tie and secure a replay.

Charlton: Phillips, Konsa (Teixeira 30), Bauer, Pearce, Fox, Crofts (c), Ulvestad, Botaka (Novak 90+1), Lookman, Magennis, Ajose (Hanlan 90+1).

Subs (not used): Beeney, Johnson, Chicksen, Aribo.

Booked: Pearce 76 (foul on

MK Dons: Martin, Baldock, Lewington (c), Walsh, Upson, Carruthers (Powell 78), Potter, Bowditch, Reeves, Agard (Colclough 78), Downing.

Subs (not used): Nicholls, Williams, Hendry, Aneke, Tshimanga.

Booked: Potter 34 (foul on Lookman), Baldock 61 (persistent fouling), Downing 72 (foul on Ajose), Upson 85 (foul on Botaka)

Attendance: 4,902 (639 from Milton Keynes)

Ref: D England

Read Time: 6 mins