U23 REPORT | Charlton 2 Bristol City 0

Charlton’s U23s earned a second consecutive win and stretched their unbeaten league run to four games with a 2-0 victory over Bristol City at Princes Park on Monday afternoon.

A dominant display saw Alfie Doughty and Kareem Isiaka net in the second half in an impressive showing at the home of Dartford.

It was 15 minutes before either side carved out an opening, with the Addicks coming close from Junior Quitirna’s free-kick. The midfielder fizzed a delivery towards goal which was fumbled by keeper Lochlan Robertson and into the path of James Vennings. Lochlan recovered well, however, and got up to make a good, point-blank save from the follow-up.

With the hosts on top, Ben Dempsey saw two decent efforts go wide from the edge of the box and, moments later, the visitors defended brilliantly to, somehow, keep out Charlton. Some initial sloppy play from the back saw Abraham Odoh pounce and see his shot saved. And with Junior Quitirna teed up for the follow-up, his effort was goalbound but was only denied by a last-ditch stop from City defender Aden Baldwin on the line.

All the chances were coming the way of the hosts in the first 45 minutes and Robertson was called into action again just before the break when he sprung to his right to claw Dempsey’s free-kick from out of the top left-hand corner.

Moments later, the Addicks came close again, this time through Doughty who cut into the box from the left and saw his shot kept out by Robertson at his near post.

The Robins very punished Charlton and nearly went ahead themselves in first-half injury-time, but Tommy Conway could only send a free header wide.

Come the second half, the home side continued to see more of the ball as they looked to break down their opponents and their perseverance finally paid off in the 64th minute, with Doughty slamming the Addicks into a deserved lead.

Fresh from his successful loan at Bromley, the 19-year old took a touch just outside the box and drilled an unstoppable shot into the bottom right-hand corner.

Charlton were in control and certainly worth more than their one-goal lead, but it was not long before they doubled it.

Dempsey ball in from the right came right across the face of goal and Isiaka was on hand to coolly roll his shot into the bottom corner.

The hosts never looked in any danger of letting their lead slip and they eased towards three points and their first victory at Princes Park this season.

Charlton U23s: Harness, Vennings, Mingi, Stevenson, Doughty, Dempsey, Odoh, Powell, Quitirna (French 87), Isiaka, Davison (Clayden 82).

Subs (not used): Harvey, Keefe, Ocran.

Goals: Doughty 64, Isiaka 73

(Photo: Tom West)

Read Time: 3 mins