REPORT | Charlton 2 Hull City 2

Charlton conceded a late equaliser deep into stoppage time to share the points with Hull City at The Valley after leading for much of the game.

The Addicks were given a standing ovation off the pitch despite the heartbreak, a testament to the effort put in by all of Lee Bowyer's team.

Darren Pratley gave Charlton a first half lead with a towering header before Jarrod Bowen equalised shortly after half-time.

Naby Sarr looked to be the hero, starting and finishing Charlton's second, before Keane Lewis-Potter's header bounced back off Dillon Phillips in the sixth minute of five minutes of stoppage time.

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer made two changes from the side that played Huddersfield Town on Tuesday with Adam Matthews and Albie Morgan replacing Chris Solly, who moved to the bench, and Alfie Doughty who dropped out late with illness. It meant a slight tweak in formation as the Addicks moved from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 formation. 

It was a tentative start to the game for both sides as they looked to work each other out, trading corners in the process.

The first chance fell to the Addicks in the 12th minute. Ben Purrington won the ball high up the pitch played in Jonathan Leko who found Conor Gallagher, the midfielder pulled the ball back from the byline into the path of Morgan whose first time shot was well blocked.

The in-form Bowen had Hull’s best chance in a very quiet first half for the visitors when he saw his shot from the left fly high and wide.

After a decent spell of possession the Addicks took a deserved lead. Leko, a threat throughout the first half, fooled his defender on the right wing and his cross appeared to strike the arm of Jordy de Wijs. Despite a large protest from the Addicks players and fans referee Andy Davies signaled for a Charlton corner. Gallagher’s set-piece was pinpoint right onto the head of Pratley, attacking the ball at the back post with a real ferocity to power a home. 

Charlton continued their ascendancy and could have scored just two minutes later when Macauley Bonne and Purrington couldn’t quite get on the end of a devilish Matthews cross with the aforementioned flagged for offside.

Two minutes later and Charlton nearly had the ball in the net again when a dangerous cross from the left from Gallagher just evaded everyone as it went past the post. 

The Charlton pressure continued and Morgan had the last half chance of before the break when he curled an effort from just outside the area which went just wide of the post.

After a dismal first half Hull were forced into a change at half time with Josh Bowler coming on and he immediately set up Bowen who was well denied by Matthews. 

The warning shot was immediately followed by a goal, Kamil Grosicki’s in-swinging cross from the Hull right was prodded in at the back post by Bowen.

The Tigers had a couple of waves of attack immediately following the goal and it was from one of these attacks that the Addicks countered to go ahead again. Sarr won the ball in the Charlton penalty box and confidently strode forward before releasing Gallagher. The centre half continued his run and was rewarded for his effort when Leko squared the ball across goal from the right and he had an easy tap-in to pass home from inside the six-yard box. 

Hull kept going and Dillon Phillips, rarely called upon, had to be at his best to tip a snapshot from Bowen around the post. 

The Addicks looked to have the game won as the match entered the sixth minute of stoppage time but a were sucker punched by a late back post header from Keane Lewis-Potter that crept over the line off Phillips to level the scores at 2-2.

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Pearce (C), Sarr; Matthews, Pratley, Gallagher, Morgan (Oshilaja 67), Purrington; Bonne (Taylor 81), Leko

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Solly, Ledley, Vennings

Goals: Pratley 34, Sarr 50

Booked: Matthews 20 (handball)

Hull City: Long, Lichaj (C), de Wijs, Burke, Batty (Bowler 46), Eaves (Honeymoon 76), Grosicki, Bowen, Elder (Lewis-Potter 64), Irvine, Da Silva Lopes

Subs (not used): Ingram, Tafazolli, Kingsley, Pennington

Goal: Bowen 48, Phillips own goal 90+6

Booked: Da Silva Lopes 67 (foul on Leko), Irvina 86 (dissent)

Referee: A Davies

Attendance: 14,247 (625 from Hull)

Read Time: 4 mins