REPORT | Huddersfield Town 4 Charlton 0

Charlton were beaten 4-0 by relegation rivals Huddersfield Town at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Karlan Grant scored twice against his former team, with substitutes Steve Mounie and Juninho Bacuna also finding the net as the Terriers secured three points.

Lee Bowyer made three changes from the side that played Sheffield Wednesday in midweek with George Lapslie, Aiden McGeady and Andre Green replacing David Davis, Macauley Bonne and the suspended Tom Lockyer. The Addicks reverted to a 4-diamond-2 formation to begin the game with McGeady starting behind the front pairing of Green and Lyle Taylor.

The home side controlled possession in the opening exchanges but did little to trouble Dillon Phillips in the Charlton goal, with the 24-year-old dealing comfortably with Harry Toffolo’s deflected shot in the second minute.

Erhun Oztumer had the Addicks first look at goal in the 11th minute but Jonas Lossl wasn’t threatened, getting down comfortably to save.

Just as Charlton looked to have eased into the game the Terriers took a 25th minute lead in soft fashion. Deji Oshilaja saw an attempted pass to Adam Matthews blocked by Grant putting the former academy graduate through on goal. The striker, who netted 14 goals in Charlton’s promotion campaign last year, made no mistake with a calm finish from 10 yards out. 

Chris Willock could have doubled the lead when he cut inside on from the right on his weaker left foot but his curled effort way over the bar. At the other end McGeady curled high and wide after a neat turn on the edge of the area.

Phillips, who has been excellent throughout the season, did well to deny a low Emile Smith Rowe shot as half-time approached and Grant missed a relatively simple header with two minutes left in the half.

The Addicks last chance before the half came when a Taylor’s shot on the turned was deflected behind for a corner. 

Jonny Williams, returning from a short spell on the sidelines with an ankle injury, replaced Oztumer at half-time. 

The Addicks showed attacking intent early in the second half with Green’s header from a McGeady cross too close to Lossl. Adam Matthews then saw a shot blocked behind after some lovely link up with Taylor. 

On the counter attack Phillips did very well to deny Willock, coming out quickly to smother an effort for the winger.

Macauley Bonne replaced McGeady as Lee Bowyer increased the attacking options on the pitch. 

Green was next to see a shot well blocked when an Alfie Doughty cross fell to the on loan Aston Villa man. 

The best chance of the game for Charlton came in the 69th minute when Oshilaja turned his man on the right wing and got to the byline. His pull back found Josh Cullen arriving late in the box but the midfielder was unable to control his first time effort. 

It was 2-0 in the 75th minute when a cross from the right was bobbled in by substitute Mounie, with Phillips insistent that the Benin international had used his hand in scoring the goal.  

Grant added his second in the last minute of the game cutting in to fire home as the Addicks chased a goal to get back in the game before a wondergoal from Juninho Bacuna in stoppage time.

Huddersfield Town: Lossl, Toffolo, Chalobah, Willock (Bacuna 66), Stearman, Grant, Simpson, Campbell (Mounie 73), Schindler (C), Smith Rowe (Pritchard 70), O’Brien

Subs (not used): Coleman, Kachunga, Quaner, Stankovic

Goals: Grant 25, 90 Mounie 75, Bacuna 90 + 4

Booked: Chalobah 88 (foul on Williams)

Charlton: Phillips; Matthews, Oshilaja, Pearce (C), Doughty; Cullen, Oztumer (Williams 46), Lapslie (Hemed 82), McGeady (Bonne 61); Taylor, Green

Subs (not used): Amos, Purrington, Davis, Smith 

Booked: Lapslie 82 (foul on Grant), Hemed 86 (foul on Schindler)

Referee: G Eltringham

Read Time: 4 mins