REPORT | Lincoln City 2 Charlton 0

A controversial goal on the stroke of half-time put Lincoln City in pole position to secure a 2-0 win in the first game of the Thomas Sandgaard era.

Ben Amos brilliantly saved a Jorge Grant penalty but a shot from the rebound came back to the winger who tapped home from a clearly offside position. Despite some delay from referee Marc Edwards and some protesting from the Charlton bench the goal was eventually given.

The Addicks had controlled the first half, creating plenty of chances, but the home side gave them less in the second half and doubled their lead in the dying minutes through the in-form Lewis Montsma

Lee Bowyer made three changes from the side that faced Doncaster Rovers last weekend with Akin Famewo making his debut, a first start for Dylan Levitt and Erhun Oztumer returning to the team as Charlton began in a 4-4-2 formation 

The visitors came out of the traps quickly and could have been 1-0 up in the fourth minute following a swift counter attack. Amos kicked long to Alfie Doughty’s who flicked on into the path of Conor Washington. The Northern Ireland international skipper inside his defender and dragged just wide of the near post from 14 yards out.

Washington then teed up Dylan Levitt who shot just over in the eighth minute. The Addicks pressure continued and Oztumer was denied firstly by goalkeeper Alex Palmer and then a Lincoln defender with two goalbound shots.

Pratley was next to drag wide before Dylan Levitt’s shot from outside the area deflected inches past the Lincoln post just after the half hour. Oztumer saw another effort well blocked in the 34th minute as the visitors continued to bang on the door.

When a goal did come it was against the run of play. Referee Edwards awarded a penalty, adjudging Pratley to have foul Tom Hopper. Amos denied Grant from the spot but the ball fell to a Lincoln player whose shot at goal fell to Grant standing in an offside position. The penalty taker tapped into the open goal and after consulting his assistant Edwards let the goal stand to the disbelief of the Charlton bench and much of the press box.

The home side managed to slow the place down at the start of the second half and Bowyer opted to hand Ben Watson his debut in the 62nd minute, as he replaced fellow debutant Akin Famewo with Pratley moving back into the vacated centre half role. 

It nearly played immediate dividends with Bonne not quite able to direct a Charlie Barker cross at goal. 

Jake Forster-Caskey and Jonny Williams were also introduced in the last 15 minutes but despite some nice spells, the Addicks were unable to recreate the chances they did in the first half.

Montsma scored a late header from a corner to secure three points for the Imps.

Lincoln City: Palmer, Montsma, Jackson, Jones, Hopper, Grant, McGrandles (Johnson 69), Eyoma, Bridcutt, Anderson (Scully 79), Roughan

Subs (not used): Ross, Edun, Archibald, Howarth, Elbouzedi

Booked: McGrandles (37, foul on Levitt), Eyoma (84, foul on Doughty), Johnson (90+3, timewasting)

Goals: Grant 45+1, Montsma 88

Charlton: Amos; Barker, Oshilaja, Famewo (Watson 62), Purrington; Oztumer (Forster-Caskey 77), Levitt (Williams 77), Pratley, Doughty; Washington, Bonne

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Lapslie, Vennings, Davison

Booked: Pratley (75, foul on Hopper), Watson (82 foul on Johnson), Barker (87, foul on Johnson), Forster-Caskey (90+1, foul on Grant)

Referee: M Edwards

Read Time: 3 mins