REPORT | Shrewsbury Town 1 Charlton 1

Charlton were denied an away win by a stoppage-time penalty in a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury Town.

Ben Watson’s first goal for the Addicks came off a Shrews defender and looked enough to secure the three points until Ollie Norburn’s late, late spot kick.

Akin Famewo and Jake Forster-Caskey returned to the starting lineup, both had been out injured since the Addicks win at Portsmouth in October. Charlton captain Jason Pearce made his first start of the season as Bowyer’s team began the game in a 4-4-2 formation.

It was Charlton who started the brighter with Ian Maatsen putting in a powerful cross that was well defended at the back post with Chuks Aneke lurking.

Maatsen then forced a corner, capitalising on a melee in the Shrewsbury box caused by Aneke. His driven shot was blocked behind for a corner.

Some clever play by Alex Gilbey down the left forced another Charlton chance, he used Maatsen’s overlapping run to create space and chipped a cross in which was flicked by Aneke and Pearce couldn’t quite get on the end of it at the back post, with the goal gaping. 

After a good opening 20 minutes from Bowyer’s boys, the away side began to get back into the game with Aaron Pierre heading their best chance, from a corner, over the crossbar.

The Addicks did trouble Matija Sarkic in the Shrews’ goal before the break but Aneke’s left-footed shot was straight at him and the two sides went in level at half-time. 

Charlton started the second half brightly with Aneke shooting wide just 11 seconds after the referee had restarted the game.

The Shrews were still very much in the game though and Matt Millar cut inside onto his left foot in the 57th minute and saw his curling effort hit the top of the Charlton crossbar. 

Bowyer brought on some fresh legs and the Addicks took the lead shortly afterwards with two of the substitutes combining in the build-up. Omar Bogle held-up the ball well and played in Jonny Williams who fed Gunter. The right back’s passed cross was straight into the path of Watson who made sure he hit the target with his shot. Shrewsbury defender Aaron Pierre tried to clear but only succeeded in putting the ball past his goalkeeper, with Watson claiming the goal, his first for the Addicks.

The Shrews hit the woodwork again with seven minutes remaining when Amos couldn’t quite gather a shot but the keeper then did very well to keep out the rebound from Josh Daniels. Amos then did well to tip around the post a shot from Jason Cummings and pulled off an outstanding save to deny Ollie Norburn.

The home side did get a late equaliser, with nearly the last kick of the game when Norburn stroked home a penalty after a Chris Gunter foul in the penalty box.

Shrewsbury Town: Sarkic, Pierre, Williams, Whalley, Norburn (C), Vela, Millar (Daniels 77), Daniels, Udoh (Cummings 72), Ebanks-Landell, Pugh (Edwards 65)

Subs (not used): Burgoyne, Goldbourne, Goss, Daniels, High

Goal: Norburn 90+4

Booked: Udoh 33 (foul on Watson), Pugh 38 (dissent), Vela 53 (foul on Aneke)

Charlton: Amos; Gunter, Pearce (C), Famewo, Maatsen; Watson, Pratley, Forster-Caskey (Morgan 62), Gilbey (Williams 62, Matthews 85); Aneke (Bogle 69), Washington

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Purrington, Henry

Goal: Watson 71

Booked: Gilbey 23 (foul on Millar), Aneke 43 (foul on Williams), Morgan 89 (foul on Williams)

Referee: A Backhouse

Attendance: 2,000

Read Time: 3 mins