REPORT | Fleetwood Town 1 Charlton 1

Charlton battled in blustery conditions for an away point in a 1-1 draw at Fleetwood Town.

Jayden Stockley gave the Addicks an early lead but after Paddy Madden’s equaliser just before half-time Charlton sustained a fair amount of pressure but were able to secure a point.

Lee Bowyer made four changes from the side that played Gillingham last weekend with Akin Famewo playing for the first time since December and Matt Smith making his full debut after joining on loan from Arsenal in January. Ian Maatsen and Ronnie Schwartz also started as the Addicks begun in a 4-4-2 formation.

Charlton took an early lead with a well-worked move down the left. Maatsen found Liam Millar in a pocket of space, the winger passed back Andrew Shinnie who fooled two defenders with a clever Cruyff turn creating room to cross with his left foot. His ball into the box was perfect for Stockley, charging in, to power a header home for his third goal for the Addicks. 

Fleetwood looked to bounce back and Paddy Madden saw his dipping header land on the roof of the net just two minutes after Charlton’s sixth-minute opener. 

Kyle Vassell then got in behind the Addicks’ defence but Famewo pressured him well to ensure the striker missed the target.

Stockley and Darren Pratley both had efforts from more than 30 yards to try and catch out goalkeeper Alex Cairns, both shots cleared the crossbar with the latter coming closer to finding the net. 

Smith was then denied by the onrushing Cairns but the goal would have likely been ruled out for offside if the goalkeeper hadn’t stopped the 20-year-old. 

Fleetwood equalised just before the break when Mark Duffy played a neat one-two to get in behind the Charlton defence and cut back for Madden who made no mistake with his finish. 

Ben Amos was the busier goalkeeper as the second half started, denying Vassell on two occasions. 

The home side had the wind at their backs in the second half and took full advantage keeping the Addicks under pressure for large spells.

Chris Gunter made a crucial, goal-saving tackle at the back post in the 71st minute to keep the ball away from Vassell on a rebound after Amos had denied Madden.

A melee brought about by a Stockley foul slowed the momentum of a frantic game.

Millar’s 89th minute shot from outside the area was deflected out for a corner as Charlton chased a late winner. 

Despite some late set pieces, neither side were able to score a second and the points were shared. 

Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Andrew, Connolly, Duffy (Camps 90), Rossiter, Madden (C), Vassell, Donacien (Burns 76), Batty, Holgate, Hill

Subs (not used): Coleman, Morris, Saunders, Biggins, Rydel

Goal: Madden 42

Booked: Madden 78, Rossiter 78

Charlton: Amos; Gunter, Oshilaja, Famewo, Maatsen (Purrington 60); Shinnie, Pratley (C) (Watson 56), Smith (Morgan 56), Millar; Stockley, Schwartz (Washington 56)

Subs (not used): Harness, Pearce, Jaiyesimi

Goal: Stockley 6

Booked: Pratley 47 (foul on Duffy), Stockley 78 (foul on Connolly), Oshilaja 79, Millar 90 (foul on Burns)

Referee: C Boyeson

Read Time: 3 mins