MATCH REPORT | Charlton 4 Doncaster Rovers 0

Goals from Elliot Lee, Conor Washington, Jayden Stockley and Ben Purrington saw Charlton cruise to a 4-0 triumph over Doncaster Rovers at The Valley on Saturday afternoon.

Caretaker Manager Johnnie Jackson made two changes from last weekend’s victory at Sunderland, both of which were enforced as Chris Gunter and club captain Jason Pearce replaced Adam Matthews and Sam Lavelle.

It took just nine minutes for the Addicks to administer the first opening in SE7 as Ben Purrington latched onto Alex Gilbey’s diagonal ball before pulling back for Lee, though the Luton Town loanee saw his volleyed effort hacked off the line by Tom Anderson with Pontus Dahlberg beaten.

Jackson was forced into an early alteration soon after, replacing the injured Jonathan Leko with Diallang Jaiyesimi.

Then came Charlton’s just reward for an enterprising start as Lee’s inswinging free-kick from the left touchline bypassed everyone - including the outstretched Stockley - to beat a helpless Pontus Dahlberg.

Buoyed by the opener, Jackson’s men continued to ask questions of the visitors’ defence thereafter, with George Dobson enjoying himself on the ball.

Having regained possession on the halfway line, Dobson fed the marauding Alex Gilbey, whose driving run into the box was curtailed by Doncaster captain Anderson, with referee Tim Robinson subsequently pointing to the spot.

On his 50th Charlton appearance in all competitions, Washington stepped up coolly to dispatch the ball into the bottom-right corner, sending the Swedish stopper the wrong way.

Moments later, Purrington showed dazzling feet to glide past two Doncaster defenders and deliver for Washington, but the forward was foiled by Dahlberg at his near post.

As the opening period drew to a close, Dobson displayed outstanding vision to find Washington racing in behind the Doncaster defence. Aided by Stockley’s flick, the Northern Irishman’s teasing delivery worked its way to Purrington at the far post, only for the left wing-back to fire at a grateful Dahlberg with the goal at his mercy.

The Addicks returned from the interval with the same intensity, forcing the visitors into an error, culminating with Stockley finding himself one-on-one with Dahlberg after John Bostock had failed to clear Gunter’s centre. The visiting goalkeeper was out swiftly, however, to narrow the angle and thwart Charlton’s number nine.  

Tricky feet from Jaiyesimi then saw the winger deliver a pinpoint left-footed cross for an unmarked Stockley, though the frontman could only head straight at Dahlberg.

Lee’s driven free-kick delivery again proved profitable on 62 minutes as Dahlberg parried straight into the path of the obliging Stockley to extend the Addicks’ advantage. 

And it soon got even better for Jackson’s Addicks, Purrington ghosting in at the far post to meet another pinpoint Jaiyesimi centre.

Charlton almost had a fifth four minutes from time, only for Dahlberg to somehow tip Stockley’s header onto the underside of the crossbar.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Gunter, Pearce (c), Famewo; Leko (Jaiyesimi 15), Gilbey, Dobson, Lee (Clare 75), Purrington; Stockley, Washington (Davison 84)

Subs (not used): Henderson, Elerewe, Watson, Blackett-Taylor

Goals: Lee 21, Washington 34 (pen), Stockley 62, Purrington 71

Booked: Purrington 18 (foul on Knoyle)

Doncaster Rovers: Dahlberg; Williams, Anderson (c), Olowu; Knoyle (Rowe 57), Bostock, Smith, Galbraith; Vilca (Cukur 76), Dodoo, Hiwula (Horton 76)

Subs (not used): Jones, Blythe, Barlow, Hasani

Booked: Vilca 9 (foul on Famewo)

Referee: Tim Robinson

Attendance: 16,449 (589 from Doncaster)

Read Time: 3 mins