MATCH REPORT | Charlton 2 Cambridge United 0

A Conor Washington double sealed another three points for Johnnie Jackson’s Charlton as the Addicks defeated Cambridge United 2-0 at The Valley on Saturday afternoon.

Jackson made a solitary change from Tuesday’s triumph over Ipswich Town, handing Jonathan Leko his first league start since late October, with Diallang Jaiyesimi named on the bench.

After a quiet opening quarter, the visitors were first to threaten as James Brophy’s shot deflected into the path of Joe Ironside, only for the U’s top scorer could only nod wastefully wide.

Sam Smith was next to enjoy a sight of goal, though the Cambridge number 10 saw his effort roll narrowly past Craig MacGillivray’s left upright.

Minutes later, it was the Addicks who edged in front. Alex Gilbey fed Washington who, having received the ball with his back to goal, swivelled superbly before finding the bottom left-hand corner with aplomb.

Elliot Lee then found Ben Purrington on the overlap, but the left wing-back rifled wide from just inside the 18-yard box.

Former Addick Dimitar Mitov had to be alert soon after the interval to parry Lee’s threatening centre before thwarting Leko at his near post, while, at the other end, MacGillivray repelled Adam May’s low drive.

MacGillivray was in the thick of the action again moments later, this time foiling Smith after the winger had latched onto May’s slide-rule pass.

The Cambridge duo combined again on 78 minutes to administer another opening as May fed Smith excellently, only for the latter to somehow poke wide of MacGillvray’s right upright with the goal at his mercy.

And the Addicks found the all-important second two minutes from time. After the visitors failed to clear substitute Pape Souaré’s fizzing cross, the ball ricocheted off Stockley to the obliging Washington, who lashed home gleefully.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Pearce (c), Famewo; Leko (Jaiyesimi 70), Gilbey, Dobson, Lee, Purrington (Souaré 73); Stockley, Washington 

Subs (not used): Henderson, Elerewe, Watson, Morgan, Davison

Goals: Washington 30, 89

Booked: Famewo 39 (foul on Smith), Stockley 45+3 (off-ball incident), Clare 50 (foul on Brophy), Washington 56 (foul on Dunk), Pearce 76 (foul on Ironside)

Cambridge United: Mitov; Williams, Okedina, Iredale, Dunk (Lankester 88); Digby (c), Weir (Knibbs 77); Smith (Worman 90+4), May, Brophy; Ironside

Subs (not used): McKenzie-Lyle, Masterson, McConnell, Yearn

Booked: Dunk 14 (foul on Leko), May 29 (foul on Gilbey), Ironside 45+2 (foul on Pearce), Digby 45+3 (off-ball incident)

Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Attendance: 24,886 (1,698 from Cambridge)

Read Time: 2 mins