Wycombe end Addicks' unbeaten run

Campbell on the ball

Wycombe Wanderers 1 Charlton 0

The Addicks fell to defeat on the final day of the 2023-24 season, losing 1-0 to Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park.

The Chairboys were unbeaten in their last six league games coming into today, and were quick off the mark this afternoon.

In the seventh minute, they got the perfect chance to go ahead from the spot. Josh Scowen poked the ball into the area for Richard Kone, who feinted to go inside before going back out and having his legs taken by Terell Thomas.

It was a definite penalty, and Luke Leahy made no mistake from the spot, sending Harry Isted the wrong way to give the home side an early lead.

Charlton responded to the goal with some lively work from the left side – Thierry Small and George Dobson combining well. 

In the 18th minute, the latter won a corner and sent in an in-swinging delivery from the left. Thomas got up to meet it, but the ball hit his shoulder and dropped wide.

It was a slow half from both sides, with the only other half-chance of note coming in the 37th minute when Scowen charged down a Karoy Anderson shot from range after the midfielder had been laid off by Daniel Kanu.

The second period was a far livelier affair, and Wycombe very nearly doubled their lead within two minutes of the restart. From 25 yards, Leahy’s free kick was given back to him by Matt Butcher, and the former’s shot was palmed away by Isted. Chris Forino was following up in the danger area, but was denied by a fantastic second save from the Charlton goalkeeper.

Two minutes after that, it was the Addicks’ turn to go close when Tyreece Campbell’s excellent cross was just touched away by Franco Ravizzoli. It was a crucial intervention, as it meant Dobson was only able to touch wide at the far post.

In the 64th minute, two Wycombe substitutes combined to excellent effect, David Wheeler feeding Beryly Lubala inside the box. It took a brilliant saving challenge from Kayne Ramsay to keep the deficit to one.

In the 75th minute, Charlton’s own substitutes were involved in going within inches of levelling the scoring. After Campbell won a free kick 25 yards from goal, Lewis Fiorini sent a free kick over the wall but was so unlucky to see it thunder back off the crossbar.

The Addicks would have one more opportunity in stoppage time, when Chuks Aneke nodded a cross down to Campbell in the box, but he was denied by a flying block from Ryan Tafazolli. 

It was not to be for Charlton, who finish the season 16th in League One. All eyes will now be on the work Nathan Jones and the club do off the field ahead of next season.

Wycombe Wanderers: Ravizzoli; Grimmer (Tafazolli 90+1), Lonwijk, Forino, Leahy; Scowen, Butcher, Taylor (Jacobson 57); McCleary (Wheeler 57), Sadlier (Lubala 57), Kone (Vokes 78)

Subs (not used): Shepperd, Kodua

Goal: Leahy 7

Assist: Kone 7

Booked: Grimmer 61 (dissent), Butcher 90+5 (foul on Campbell)

Charlton: Isted; Thomas, Hector, Ness (Fiorini 46); Ramsay, Dobson (c), Bakinson, Anderson (Campbell 46), Small; May (LuaLua 46), Kanu (Aneke 58)

Subs (not used): Ward, Coventry, Edmonds-Green

Booked: Ramsay 45+2 (foul on Leahy), Dobson 46 (foul on Scowen), Bakinson 80 (foul on Leahy), Fiorini 82 (foul on Lubala), Aneke 86 (off-ball incident), Jones 86 (dissent)

Attendance: 6,702 (1,781 from Charlton)

Referee: Elliot Bell

Read Time: 3 mins