Milton Keynes Dons
V Charlton Athletic
Stadium mk
Milton Keynes Dons
Charlton Athletic
Kick off

MK Dons 0 Charlton 1

Charlton returned to winning ways with a controlled performance in a 1-0 victory at MK Dons.

Jack Payne scored a well-worked goal in the 61st minute as the Addicks bounced back from a tough day in Ipswich on Saturday.

Manager Dean Holden made four changes from the side that played the in-form Tractor Boys last weekend. Sean Clare, Steven Sessegnon, Payne and Miles Leaburn all returned to the starting line-up as the Addicks began in a 4-3-3.

While Charlton controlled possession in the opening 25 minutes, neither side were able to create any clear cut chances. The Addicks went closest when neither Scott Fraser or Leaburn could quite get on a Jes Rak-Sakyi cross from the right.

It was down the right where Charlton were looking most dangerous – Fraser couldn’t quite control Albie Morgan’s deep cross and Rak-Sakyi’s whipped centre was just ahead of Leaburn.

At the other end, former Addick Jonathan Leko saw a long-range effort well saved by Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Charlton’s best chance of the opening period came from a corner that was cleared into the path of Payne, whose strike from just outside the penalty area whistled over the MK Dons’ crossbar.

MK Dons had the first sight at goal of the second half when Zak Jules bundled his way forward and crossed for Mo Eisa, whose first time shot was palmed behind for a corner by Maynard-Brewer.

After a spell of pressure from the home side, the Addicks produced two dangerous chances in quick succession. First, Steven Sessegnon cut inside and forced a parried save from Jamie Cumming and then Rak-Sakyi turned excellently on the byline and powered a pull back towards Payne who couldn’t quite direct at goal.

Leaburn then forced another save from Cumming after a smart turn on the edge of the area and it was from the resulting corner that the Addicks went ahead. A well-worked short corner saw the ball find its way to Rak-Sakyi whose pass was perfectly-weighted for Payne to smash home with his favoured left foot.

Charlton piled on the pressure and Morgan’s whipped cross from the right was flicked at goal by Rak-Sakyi but went just wide. The winger dragged wide shortly afterwards.

The Addicks controlled much of the final half-hour to return to claim maximum points in Buckinghamshire.

MK Dons: Cumming, Watson, Lewington (c), Tucker, McEachran (Devoy 75), Eisa, Leko (Grigg 77), Grant (Kaikai 61), Stewart (Holland 88), Jules, Maghoma (Robson 77)

Subs (not used): Ravizzoli, Lawrence

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; Clare (Egbo 76), Hector, Thomas, Sessegnon (Mitchell 90+2); Morgan, Dobson (c), Fraser (Kilkenny 88); Rak-Sakyi (Kane 88), Leaburn, Payne

Subs (not used): Wollacott, Henry, Kanu

Goal: Payne 61

Assist: Rak-Sakyi 61

Booked: Leaburn 33 (foul on Lewington), Dobson 63 (foul on Leko), Kane 90+8 (time-wasting)

Referee: S Allison

Attendance: 6,600 (755 from Charlton)