Charlton Athletic V
Lincoln City
The Valley
Charlton Athletic
Lincoln City
Kick off

Charlton 1 Lincoln City 1

The Addicks came from behind to claim a point against Lincoln City on Tuesday evening, drawing 1-1 in Nathan Jones’ first home game in charge.

The first period was one in which Charlton dominated possession, but all their good work was sandwiched by two golden chances for the Imps at the beginning and end of the half.

The first came in the 8th minute when a misdirected header from George Dobson fell the way of Lasse Sørensen on the right. The Dane’s pull back was met by Ted Bishop arriving late into the box, but his shot went just wide of Harry Isted’s right post.

Nathan Jones’ side grew into the game, aided by a lively performance from Kayne Ramsay on his full debut.

In the 26th minute, the right back’s long ball from deep was seized on by Karoy Anderson in the box. He found Daniel Kanu just outside the six-yard box with his back to goal, and the striker laid it back for Tyreeq Bakinson.

Bakinson’s shot from the penalty spot was well-struck, but had the pace taken off it by a block from Sean Roughan, and it was held by Lukas Jensen.

Two minutes later Bakinson went close again when Terell Thomas’ toe-poke found him in space. The midfielder drove into space and opted to shoot from 25 yards, but dragged his shot wide.

With eight minutes remaining before the break, the visitors had the second of their good chances. This time they took it.

After good work from Reeco Hackett on the left, a cross from Roughan was met by Dobson. However, the captain’s header went back out towards the left, where Hackett brought it down and rifled in a left-foot shot at the near post. Isted was beaten for pure pace and, against the run of play, Lincoln were ahead.

The Addicks resumed their dominance at the start of the second period and went close in the 49th minute through a move started and finished by Tennai Watson. The wing-back was starting on the left today, and he showed tremendous skill to make his way inside and find Bakinson.

By the time Bakinson gave it back to Watson, he was inside the box on the right, but with the keeper onrushing, his dink went across goal, behind Alfie May, and was cleared by Sørensen.

It was all Charlton again, but midway through the second period, the Imps went within inches of doubling their lead when a free-kick from 30 yards was laid off by Hackett to Danny Mândroiu. The midfielder’s drive looked dangerous, and Isted will have been relieved to see it only clip his right post and go wide.

It was the little bit of luck that Charlton have been missing in recent weeks, and five minutes later they would capitalise on it. The Lincoln defence had looked worried about Chuks Aneke ever since his introduction in the 64th minute and, in his first appearance since October, the big striker was heavily involved in the equaliser.

Getting on the end of a bouncing ball, Aneke got himself between the ball and Paudie O’Connor. Fellow substitute Freddie Ladapo took over 25 yards out, looked up, and rifled a shot across goal and in at the far post for his first Addicks goal.

The fourth official’s indication of ten minutes’ added time was greeted by a huge roar from the Covered End, and Charlton so nearly found the winner their play had merited.

In the 99th minute, Tayo Edun picked up the ball on the edge of the box and his shot was charged down, but the substitute got back to the rebound and drove into the box. Just when it looked like he might find the crucial goal, he was charged down by Jensen who did well to block his shot.

The Addicks were not quite able to halt Lincoln’s now six-game unbeaten streak, and Nathan Jones side will now look ahead to a trip to third-placed Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.

Charlton: Isted; Thomas, Jones, Edmonds-Green; Ramsay (Edun 82), Dobson (c), Bakinson (Camará 71), Anderson, T.Watson; Kanu (Ladapo 71), May (Aneke 64)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Gillesphey, Campbell

Goal: Ladapo 73

Assist: Aneke 73

Booked: Kanu 36 (foul on Roughan), Anderson 75 (foul on Erhahon), Camará 76 (off-ball incident)

Lincoln City: Jensen; Sørensen, O’Connor (c), Mitchell, Roughan; Mândroiu (Duffy 90), Bishop (Moylan 57), Erhahon, Hackett; Taylor (Makama 90), Draper (House 57)

Subs (not used): Wright, Eyoma

Goal: Hackett 37

Booked: House 69 (foul on Dobson), Erhahon 76 (time-wasting), O’Connor 90+11 (foul on Aneke)

Attendance: 12,713 (521 away)

Referee: David Rock