Charlton Athletic V
The Valley
Charlton Athletic
Kick off

Charlton 2 Barnsley 1

The Addicks ground out an excellent victory against fifth-placed Barnsley, winning 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.

While Charlton had the majority of the possession in the opening stages, it was the visitors who nearly opened the scoring in the fourth minute when a long ball from Jordan Williams released John McAtee. Harry Isted came racing out of his area and McAtee’s lob beat him but also went over the bar.

The chance helped the Tykes to grow into the game, but they were stunned in the 20th minute when Alfie May scored the Addicks’ first goal directly from a free-kick this season. 

After Karoy Anderson was fouled on the edge of the box by Jamie McCart, goalkeeper Liam Roberts’ positioning left a gap to his left behind the wall. But, as the goalkeeper stepped that way, May went the other and curled the ball into the top corner.

It could have been two just two minutes later when a long ball from Terell Thomas picked out the goalscorer, whose volleyed cutback was behind George Dobson but found Daniel Kanu. It took an excellent block from Josh Earl to deny him.

As the half progressed, Barnsley began to show the kind of form which has meant they have the best away record in League One. 

In the 27th minute, after a Tykes corner was not cleared, Adam Phillips’ cross struck the arm of the returning Kayne Ramsay in the box and the visitors had the perfect route back into the game. Phillips himself would take the penalty and he dispatched it confidently beyond Isted.

Barnsley were alive now and should have taken the lead just three minutes later when Phillips’ fizzing cross beat Isted but was somehow turned over the bar from inside the six-yard box by Devante Cole. 

Three minutes after that they went even closer when Earl struck the bar after a Luca Connell free-kick was not cleared.

By the 40th minute Barnsley were the dominant side but, for the second time in the half, they were stunned by May. Macaulay Gillesphey advanced down the left and his pass towards the box was dummied by Dobson. The move sold Maël de Gevigney and May was on hand to race onto it, cut inside and curl a shot into the top corner.

Six minutes after the break it might have been three as Kanu headed over a Dobson cross having found a yard in the box.

The Addicks went even closer in the 71st minute when May curled a left foot shot onto the bar from 20 yards, before Chuks Aneke headed the ball just over.

They were nearly made to rue the missed chances just a minute later when Phillips again found Cole with a cross and Cole, this time with his head, directed his effort over the bar.

Charlton should have made sure of the win in the fourth minute of stoppage time, when Roberts fouled Tyreece Campbell in the box, but the goalkeeper made amends by keeping out Aneke’s penalty.

Barnsley assistant coach Jon Stead was sent off for dissent following the spot kick.

Ultimately, Aneke’s miss did not matter as the Addicks finished 2-1 victors and now look ahead to Tuesday night’s game against Wigan Athletic at The Valley.

Charlton: Isted; Thomas (Bakinson 88), Hector, Gillesphey; Ramsay (Edmonds-Green 58), Coventry, Dobson (c), Anderson, Small; May (Campbell 88), Kanu (Aneke 66)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Ladapo, LuaLua

Goals: May 20, 40 

Assist: Gillesphey 40

Booked: Thomas 23 (foul on McAtee), Anderson 65 (foul on Russell), Dobson 90+3 (foul on Williams)

Barnsley: Roberts; de Gevigney, McCart, Earl (O’Keeffe 69); Williams (c), Russell (Cosgrove 69), Connell, Phillips, Cadden; McAtee, Cole (Jaló 78)

Subs (not used): Kane, Grant, Cotter, Killip

Goal: Phillips 28 (pen) 

Booked: Earl 37 (foul on Kanu), McAtee 77 (off-ball incident), Phillips 90+3 (off-ball incident), Collins 90+5 (dissent), Connell 90+6 (off-ball incident)

Sent off: Stead 90+5 (dissent)

Attendance: 13,844 (881 away)

Referee: Benjamin Speedie