Charlton Athletic V
Sutton United
The Valley
Charlton Athletic
Sutton United
Kick off

Charlton 3 Sutton United 0

The Addicks progressed into the knockout stages of the Bristol Street Motors Trophy with a 3-0 win over Sutton United at the Valley on Tuesday evening.

Michael Appleton has an excellent record in the competition and he continued to give it a lot of respect by putting out a strong starting line-up. It was, as the Head Coach had pointed out, a winner-takes-all cup tie; it was clear his side knew this, coming out the blocks fast.

Five minutes in, Charlton went very close. Tayo Edun played a lovely ball round the corner for Miles Leaburn, who checked back inside Omar Sowunmi and struck the base of the near post.

It was one-way traffic for much of the opening period, and seven minutes later the Addicks were ahead having won the ball back in their half and put together an excellent counter-attack. The move culminated in Scott Fraser feeding the ball outside to Corey Blackett-Taylor, who took it inside then out before firing an excellent left-footed shot across goal and in at the far post.

As the half wore on, the U’s were able to find a foothold in the game through target man Harry Smith, who proved a useful outlet. It was his header from a Rob Milsom corner in the 38th minute which brought Sutton closest to levelling the scoring, though his effort hit the side-netting.

The Addicks remained in control and had the perfect chance to double their lead when Harry Beautyman gave away a penalty 30 seconds after being brought on as a substitute for the injured Dominic Gape. Charlton’s left had been a constant source of chances throughout the opening 45, and this time it was Tyreece Campbell’s turn to get to the byline before being brought down by Beautyman.

The midfielder would breathe a sigh of relief, as Blackett-Taylor, much like Leaburn at the beginning of the half, hit the foot of Steve Arnold’s right post.

It would not prove too costly a miss as, five minutes into the second period, the Addicks found their second goal. After a dangerous cross from Edun was put behind by Sowunmi, Fraser’s short corner eventually found its way to Tyreece Campbell.

In a reverse of the Addicks’ fifth goal in the Emirates FA Cup last Wednesday, Campbell laid off Conor McGrandles on the edge of the box and the Scot's shot deflected off Ben Goodliffe to leave goalkeeper Arnold completely stranded and Appleton's side two goals to the good.

Charlton were now in complete control and, with a quarter of the match remaining, sealed their progression to the round of 32 with the pick of the goals. Tyreece Campbell was once again involved, picking Beautyman’s pocket to begin an incisive counter-attack. He fed Fraser, who hit a first-time cross with his weaker right foot for Alfie May, and the striker headed home his 15th goal of the season within 10 minutes of his introduction.

The Addicks progress as runners-up of Southern Group B, with the draw set to take place from 6.30pm GMT on Friday night, live on Sky Sports News.

Charlton: Walker; Asiimwe, Ness, T.Watson, Edun (Jones 60); McGrandles (Dobson 60), L.Watson, Fraser (c) (Kedwell 75); T.Campbell, Blackett-Taylor (May 60), Leaburn (Tedić 75)

Sub (not used): Adegoke, C.Campbell

Goals: Blackett-Taylor 12, McGrandles 50, May 68

Assists: Fraser 12, T.Campbell 58, Fraser 68

Sutton United: Arnold; Jackson, Goodliffe (c), Sowunmi, Milsom (John 57); Coley (N’Guessan 71), Clay, Gape (Beautyman 45), Fadahunsi; Patrick, Smith (Dundas 71)

Subs (not used): House, Sullivan, Moore

Attendance: 1,377 (294 away)

Referee: Carl Brook