Addicks beaten by Bolton at The Valley


Charlton 0 Bolton Wanderers 2

The Addicks fell to their first home defeat under Michael Appleton on Saturday afternoon as they were beaten 2-0 by Bolton.

It began as a fairly even contest, with both sides seemingly feeling out one another, but after a quarter of an hour the visitors came to life.

Aaron Morley slid the ball in behind for Dion Charles, who was beaten to the ball by Ashley Maynard-Brewer. The goalkeeper’s intervention meant the ball fell to Josh Dacres-Cogley but the Australian dive at the wing-back’s feet to prevent the opening goal.

Bolton would only have to wait two more minutes for the deadlock to be broken. A short corner was cleverly worked from the right and George Thomason fizzed the ball into Randell Williams’ feet on the right corner of the box. Williams opened up his body and sent an excellent curling, left-footed shot in off the far post.

Suddenly it was all going in one direction and five minutes later the visitors doubled their lead. Charles got into the box and pulled back for Dacres-Cogley. An excellent challenge from Tyreece Campbell denied Dacres-Cogley but, somewhat unfortunately, the ball fell straight back to Charles, who had the simple task of converting from 12 yards.

With five minutes of the half remaining, the Trotters had an excellent chance to put the game beyond Charlton. Dacres-Cogley was again involved, this time crossing for Thomason who was able to take the ball down on his chest, but wasn’t able to put it either side of Maynard-Brewer.

Just as the half looked set to fizzle out, the Addicks came back into the contest. A clever corner from Scott Fraser was dinked to the edge of the box, where Alfie May was waiting. His first-time volley flashed just wide of the post when any kind of touch, from a red or a white shirt, would surely have turned it home.

Charlton went into the break 2-0 down but with some renewed optimism, and they really should have halved the deficit four minutes into the second half. The chance again came from a clever set piece, Fraser’s quick free-kick going down the line to George Dobson. The skipper clipped a ball to the back post where Campbell had a free header, but the winger could not direct it on target.

It was a much more even half and both sides had excellent opportunities. On the hour-mark, a great one-two between Victor Adeboyejo and Charles put the latter through on goal, but an excellent dive at his feet by Maynard-Brewer denied the Northern Irish international his second.

Then, 10 minutes later at the other end, Campbell played in a low cross for Miles Leaburn. The substitute laid it back to May, but the striker sliced his shot over.

The Addicks kept pushing and gave a good account of themselves in the second half, but were unable to muster the goal that would have got them back in the game, and all that remained was two chances for Williams to double his tally.

Michael Appleton’s side will hope for a better result at Wigan Athletic on Tuesday night.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T Watson, Jones, Hector, Thomas (Asiimwe 65); Dobson (c), Fraser (L Watson 58); T.Campbell, Camará (Leaburn 65), Blackett-Taylor; May

Subs (not used): Walker, Ness, Kirk, Tedić

Booked: Jones 78 (foul on Bödvarsson)

Bolton Wanderers: Baxter; Jones, Santos (c), Toal; Dacres-Cogley, Morley, Thomason (Maghoma 74), Sheehan, Williams; Adeboyejo (Bödvarsson 71), Charles (Nlundulu 79)

Subs (not used): Hutchinson, Iredale, Forrester, Jerome

Goals: Williams 16, Charles 22

Assist: Thomason 16

Booked: Baxter 77 (time-wasting)

Attendance: 14,342 (1,888 away)

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Read Time: 3 mins