New boys find the net in Addicks victory

Camara Wealdstone

Wealdstone 0 Charlton 5

Charlton new boys Lloyd Jones and Panutche Camará both found the net as the Addicks cruised to a 5-0 victory at Wealdstone in the first game since Friday’s takeover of the club by Global Football Partners.

Camará, in particular, shone in his first 45 minutes as a Charlton player, scoring the Addicks' second in the 21st minute, two minutes after Jones, who assisted Camara’s goal, had opened his Charlton account. Scott Fraser scored Charlton’s third in a busy first half. Alfie May netted for the second time in his first pre-season with the Addicks, before Karoy Anderson scored his side's fifth.

Despite the comfortable win it was an awkward opening for the Addicks and former Charlton player, Charles Clayden, created the first chance of the game with a deep cross to the back post that Tahvon Campbell headed just over.

It was the impressive Camará that started the move for the Addicks opener, breaking away from two Wealdstone players. He fed Charlie Kirk on the wing whose cross eventually made its way to Jones at the back post. The centre half demonstrated his ability with his feet, skipping inside his defender and deftly dinking over the opposition goalkeeper.

Two minutes later and the two debutants combined for Charlton’s second. Jones’ chipped ball into the channel was perfectly weighted for Camará who lobbed over the onrushing goalkeeper.

The Addicks made it 3-0 in the 27th minute when Charlie Kirk played a beautiful first-time pass into the path of Fraser, who made no mistake smashing home emphatically.

Another Kirk pass into the box found Diallang Jaiyesimi, whose shot hit the upright and the wing-back then forced a save from the Wealdstone keeper after getting on the end of Camará’s cross.

Jones and Camará made way at half-time after both netting in an action-packed first half.

The Addicks created chances early in the second half but weren't able to put any away. The best two fell to Daniel Kanu, who couldn’t direct a shot on target after a Jaiyesimi pull back and then hit wide from a Kirk cross.

The 68th minute saw a host of changes, as the Addicks moved from a 3-5-2 formation to a 4-3-3.

Tyreece Campbell earned a 77th minute penalty when he was clipped in the box after George Dobson had won the ball back in a dangerous position. May stepped up and saw his penalty saved but was on hand quickly to finish the rebound.

Anderson made it five with a lovely control and turn in the box from Jack Payne's clever through ball. The academy graduate calmly finished with his weaker left foot with three minutes left on the clock. 

Charlton (first 68): Maynard-Brewer; Jones (Elerewe 46), Hector (c), Ness; Egbo, Fraser, McGrandles, Camará (Henry 46), Jaiyesimi; Kirk, Kanu

Charlton (last 22): Isted; Asiimwe, Mitchell, Elerewe, Thomas; Payne, Dobson, Anderson; Campbell, May, Blackett-Taylar

Goals: Jones 19, Camará 21, Fraser 27, May 77, Anderson 87

Assists: Jones 21, Kirk 27, Payne 87

Referee: S Mulhall

Read Time: 3 mins