WOMEN'S TEAM | Addicks hit eight to reach Capital Cup final

Sue Prior reports

Gemma Shepherd hit four goals and Avilla Bergin netted a brace as the Charlton women’s team thrashed Old Actonians 8-1 to secure their place in the Capital Cup final.

With Katie Bottom cup-tied and Ruby Southgate unavailable coach Riteesh Mishra brought Shepherd & Stef Simmons into the starting XI to get some valuable match time after their recent long-term injuries.

The Addicks got off to a great start when Charley Clifford fired home low into the bottom corner from 10 yards after five minutes.

Three minutes later, Bergin added a second when her corner curled directly into the goal.

With half an hour gone, Actonians pulled one back. Alex Baker made a good, parried save but Melissa Jung was first on the scene to bury the rebound.

Charlton restored their two-goal advantage five minutes later with a superb goal from Kit Graham, who beat a defender and took the ball around keeper Paige Hornsell before slotting home.

With 37 minutes gone, the Addicks added a fourth when Shepherd headed home a Bergin corner.

Just before half-time, Bergin went close when she cut into the area only to be foiled by a fine save from keeper Hornsell.

Charlton were quick off the mark after the break and, on 50 minutes, a powerful shot on the turn from Shepherd flew into the top corner for her second of the game.

Shepherd completed her hat-trick on 57 minutes after playing a neat one-two with full-back Katie Flack.

On the hour mark, Shepherd claimed her fourth from close range, following a powerful strike from Charlotte Lee.

The Addicks’ eighth of the game came with 20 minutes remaining when Graham fed the ball through to Bergin to fire into the far corner for her second of the game.

Charlton will play either Crystal Palace or Tottenham in the final.

Charlton: Baker, Flack, Simmons (Nash 60), Dixson, Sullivan, Coombs, Clifford (Okeowo 74), Shepherd (Monaghan 67), Bergin, Lee, Graham.

Not used: Chapman.

Read Time: 2 mins