REPORT | Charlton 2 Scunthorpe United 1

Tom Rubashow reports from The Valley

A late Tony Watt penalty gave Charlton a deserved 2-1 win against third-placed Scunthorpe United.

The win was the Addicks first since beating Bolton at the Macron Stadium in January ending a winless streak that had stretched eight games.

Johnnie Jackson gave the home side the lead in a first half Charlton dominated celebrating with his trademark knee slide. Kevin Van Veen equalised in the 75th minute before supersub Watt’s late spot kick secured Charlton the win.

Karl Robinson made four changes to the lineup with Adam Chicksen, Jackson, Jorge Teixeira and Joe Aribo replacing Lewis Page, Andrew Crofts, Patrick Bauer and Jordan Botaka. Lining up in a 4-4-2 formation the Addicks started with Declan Rudd in goal behind Nathan Bryne, Ezri Konsa, Teixeira and Chicksen. Johnnie Jackson held in the midfield with Fredrik Ulvestad and Joe Aribo ahead of him and Ricky Holmes at the top of the diamond. Josh Magennis and Lee Novak again started up front.

Charlton had by far the better of the first half and nearly scored within the first three minutes when a Teixeira volley from a Ulvestad pass hit the crossbar.

The Norweigan midfielder was at the heart of much of Charlton’s play and it was his good work down the right in the 25th minute that allowed Teixeira to get into the box where it looked like he was tripped. Referee Dean Whitestone was having none of it though and the rebound fell to Konsa who blazed over.

The Addicks pressure continued though and a warning sign was fired in the 31st minute when a Magennis driven cross from the right was just too high for Novak after Aribo had won possession on the left.

Just a minute later Holmes earned a corner after Aribo had turned the ball over again. The winger’s outswinging corner fell to Jackson in the six yard box whose right footed volley powered past Luke Daniels in the Scunthorpe goal. 

Charlton continued to drive after goal with Magennis not able to get quite enough in the 40th minute after an Ulvestad cross. 

Scunthorpe only had two chances of note before half time. The first saw Jordan Clarke hitting a powerful shot from range at Rudd from a short corner in the sixth minute. Later in the half Paddy Madden hit the side-netting with a volley from a well floated Duane Holmes cross from the left.

Charlton came out with the same intensity in the second half with Holmes firing high and wide in the 50th minute and winning a corner minutes later after some clever play by Ulvestad.

The game changed though in the 57th minute when Magennis, who had worked tirelessly throughout the game, had to come off injured. He was replaced by Andrew Crofts pushing Aribo to the top of the diamond and Holmes up front.

Scunthorpe began to press and only a goalsaving tackle from Konsa and an incredible save from Rudd was enough to keep Charlton 1-0 up.

Then in the 75th minute Rudd acrobatically deflected a cross from the left away from goal. Van Veen was on hand to pounce though and fire into the goal the level the scores, although it looked like Teixeira was fouled in the build-up.

Scunthorpe began getting on top of a tiring Charlton with Clarke and then Matt Crooks firing wide.

However, the resilient Addicks didn’t give up and Teixeira was bundled over one minute before the end from a deep Chicksen free kick.

A nervous Robinson turned his back as Watt stepped up to take the penalty but he needn’t have worried, the Scotsman finished with supreme confidence to give Charlton the win.

Charlton: Rudd, Byrne, Teixeira, Konsa, Chicksen, Jackson, Ulvestad, Aribo, Holmes (Ahearne-Grant 86), Magennis (Crofts 58), Novak (Watt 81). 

Subs (not used): Phillips, Page, Dijksteel, Dasilva

Goals: Jackson 33, Watt 90 (pen)

Booked: Holmes 58, Bryne 82 (foul on Toffolo), Ulvestad 85 (foul on Toffolo), Watt 90 (celebration), Chicksen 90+2 (foul)

Scunthorpe United: Daniels, Clarke, Wallace, Mirfin (Davies 90+2), Toffolo, Morris (Bishop h/t), Crooks, Holmes (Hopper 62), Dawson, Madden, Van Veen
Subs (not used): Anyon, Wiseman, Goode, Toney 

Goal: Van Veen 75

Referee: D Whitestone 

Att: 9,088 (301 from Scunthorpe)

Read Time: 4 mins