REPORT | Milton Keynes Dons 1 Charlton 2

Charlton returned to the Sky Bet League One play-off places by recording a hard-fought victory at Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday afternoon. 

An early stunner from Ahmed Kashi and a close-range header from Josh Magennis put Karl Robinson's men two up inside an hour at Stadium MK before Kieran Agard pulled one back for the hosts.

But some resilient defending from Karl Robinson's men - who played for the last 20 minutes with a back three - ensured that they held on to take a vital three points back to south-east London. 

In terms of team news, Karl Robinson made two changes to the XI that started against Bradford City on Tuesday night. 

Ben Reeves and Joe Aribo were restored to the side, replacing Mark Marshall and Tariqe Fosu, with the latter missing out through injury. And on the bench, there was also a welcome return to a first-team squad for Jason Pearce following his knee injury. 

The Dons started brightly and sent a couple of dangerous, early crosses into Ben Amos' box that the Addicks manged to clear away, and the visitors then grabbed an early lead. 

Kashi pounced on a loose ball 25 yards from goal and, after taking aim, he rifled a shot into the corner of the net.  

It was a fantastic strike and Charlton quickly went in search of a second. Magennis got to the byline and whipped in a low ball that was just too far ahead of the incoming Sullay Kaikai.

Former Dons man Reeves looped a strike high and wide shortly afterwards and on 30 minutes he came close again. Aribo cut the ball back to him and, after shifting it onto his left foot, his curling strike was well blocked by defender Eliott Ward.

Reeves was being heavily involved in all of Charlton's good play and, with 32 minutes gone, he crossed for Bauer who powered a header over the crossbar. 

The game's next opportunity arrived a minute before half-time. Again it was Charlton's and again it was Reeves. He collected possession from Magennis on the edge of the box and cut in from the right before releasing a rasping drive that whistled just wide of the post.

The opening chance of the second half fell the Addicks' way as well, and they could not have come much closer to scoring. Reeves broke forward and found the overlapping Aribo, who took the ball onto his right foot before rattling the right-hand post. 

Magennis smashed an effort wide from a tight angle as the Addicks continued to probe for a second goal and, at the other end, Amos reacted quickly to make a smart save from Callum Brittain, who connected well with a low Ousseynou Cissé cross.  

Charlton's second goal arrived on the hour mark. Forster-Caskey sent a teasing cross into the box that no-one in white dared get a touch to and Magennis ghosted in at the back post to head home. 

The goal was the Northern Irishman's third in four matches and should have given the Addicks some deserved breathing space. However, MK halved the deficit within two minutes. 

George Williams flicked on a corner at the near post and striker Agard guided it home from six yards out. 

The goal gave the hosts some much needed momentum and they created a chance to equalise on 65 minutes when Ugbo took aim from inside the box. Fortunately for the Addicks, Bauer was there to block his strike. 

Robbie Muirhead shot straight at Amos, having latched onto a cut-back 10 minutes from time, and a couple of minutes later a long-range strike from substitute Ed Upson deflected into the arms of the Charlton goalkeeper. 

With five minutes left on the clock, Forster-Caskey fizzed a strike a couple of yards wide after a great spell of possession for the Addicks, who were now operating with their back three. 

As the clock hit 90, they had a great chance to net their third. Magennis intercepted a loose ball and drove forward. Rather than playing in Kashi to his right, he went for goal and home stopper Lee Nicholls dived to his left to make the save. 

Five minutes of stoppage time were indicated by referee Roger East and Robinson's men absorbed all of the Dons' pressure to hold on for a big three points.

MK Dons: Nicholls, Williams, Lewington (c), Cissé (Nesbitt 61), Agard, Ward, Muirhead (Rasulo 86), McGrandles (Upson 46), Tymon, Brittain, Ugbo.

Subs (not used): Sietsma, Wootton, Rasulo, O Jackson, Thomas-Asante.

Goal: Agard 62

Booked: Upson 90+3 (foul on Magennis)

Charlton: Amos, Solly (c), Bauer (Pearce 67), Konsa, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Reeves (Marshall 74), Aribo, Kaikai (Lennon 72), Magennis.

Subs (not used): Phillips, Jackson, Marshall, Ajose, Zyro.

Goals: Kashi 10, Magennis 60

Booked: Kashi 68 (foul on Upson), Konsa 82 (foul on Ugbo)

Attendance: 8,961 (1,194 from Charlton)

Referee: R East.

Read Time: 4 mins