PRE-SEASON REPORT | Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Charlton 4

Charlton returned to winning ways with a convincing 4-0 pre-season win at National League outfit Dagenham & Redbridge.

Brandon Wiredu made is three goals in as many games while Tom Lockyer, Macauley Bonne and Ben Dempsey all opened their Charlton accounts as the Addicks swept aside the Daggers.

For the second game running Lee Bowyer opted for a 3-2-diamond-1 formation, starting the side that finished the previous night’s 2-1 loss at Ebbfleet United. 

Charlton’s wing backs combined brilliantly in the fourth minute to give the Addicks an early lead. Lewis Page, looking quicker and stronger than ever, sped past his defender and curled in a deep cross to the back post where Wiredu powered in with a jumping volley that gave Dagenham goalkeeper Elliot Justham no chance.

Charlton went 2-0 up shortly afterwards when a low corner from Callum Harriott made it all the way through to Lockyer at the back post who tapped in to an unguarded goal.

The home side managed to steady the ship but it was still Charlton on top. Page was again provider in the 17th minute when he laid back to Junior Quitirna. The academy graduate’s first time effort bounced off the base of the post to Bonne who saw his follow-up well saved by Justham. 

Dillon Phillips remained relatively untroubled in the Addicks goal throughout the first half, although he did have to make a smart save to deny Joan Luque shortly after the half hour mark.

Bonne opened his Charlton goalscoring account in stoppage time in the first half with a very smartly taken,drilled effort across the goal from just inside the penalty area, after getting on the end of a Harriott pass. 

The former Leyton Orient striker looked to double his tally as the second half started when he got on the end of a long ball from Phillips but his shot was too close to Justham.

The home side had their best sights at goal through Joe Quigley, who blasted over from eight yards in the 51st minute and couldn’t fully connected with a header in the 75th minute. 

As with the game the previous day it was all change on the hour mark as 11 substitutions came on for the Addicks.

The changes didn’t slow down a ruthless Charlton, with Chuks Aneke causing immediate problems and Albie Morgan forcing a decent save from Justham with a long range effort following a Charlton short corner. 

Lyle Taylor also saw an effort well-saved but just a minute later the Addicks made it 4-0. Aneke got in behind the Dagenham defence and cleverly passed back for Dempsey who made no mistake with a calm finish. 

Aneke, a constant threat, saw an effort of his own bounce off the post as the Addicks continued their onslaught ending up comfortable winners.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Robinson(o), Brundle (Wright 46) , Balanta (Croll 46), Grant (Wood 46), Gordon (McQueen 46), Phipps (Odamatey 46), Dobson (Graham 46), Eletheriou (Trialist 61), Onariase (Kandi 46), Luque (Quigley 46)

Charlton: Phillips (Amos 61); Lockyer (Dijksteel 61), Pearce (Pratley 61), Sarr (Purrington 61); Wiredu (Lapslie 61), Page (Doughty 61); Maloney (Forster-Caskey 61), Odoh (Dempsey 61), Quitirna (Morgan 61), Harriott (Aneke 61); Bonne (Taylor 61)

Subs (not used): Powell, Harness, Yao

Goals: Wiredu 4, Lockyer 9, Bonne 45+1, Dempsey 76

Referee: Tony Goddard

Attendance: 683

Read Time: 3 mins