U23S REPORT | Charlton 3 Watford 0

Three first half goals were enough for Charlton U23s who comfortably beat league leaders Watford at The Valley as the Addicks extended their unbeaten run to six games.

Goals from Kareem Isiaka, James Vennings and Johl Powell all came inside the opening half hour and from then on Watford struggled to threaten the Charlton goal.

Left back Alfie Doughty started brightly, firstly hitting the side netting from just outside the box before assisting Isiaka in the ninth minute with a nice cross into the front post where the striker finished the move of coolly.

Doughty continued to threaten with most of Charlton’s early chances going down the left side. Watford had a few half chances but failed to trouble Nathan Harness early on.

In the 22nd minute Jay Mingi was tripped inside the box following more good play from the home side, and James Vennings comfortably dispatched the resulting penalty to the 'keeper's left making it 2-0 to the Addicks.

Now fully in control, Charlton started to really dominate with first teamer Erhun Oztumer running the show. His little flicks and passes were a joy to watch as he split open the opposition defence time after time. A beautifully chipped ball into Johl Powell saw a neat volleyed finish from six yards out, making it 3-0 after just 28 minutes.

Charlton then continued to control the game, good hold up play from Josh Davison led to few more half chances and the young striker then saw an effort of his own go just over the bar after spinning on the edge of the box and finding room on his left foot.

After the break Watford started brighter and started to see more of the ball, but solid defensive work saw them reduced to pot shots and nothing to really threaten Harness.

Only called into action once or twice, Harness made a smart save following a bit of interplay down the Watford left.

Charlton then attacked down the left wing just after the 70-minute mark and a bit of a goal mouth scramble ended with Kenneth Yao sliding in and putting the ball just wide.

More brilliant footwork by Oztumer led to a few half-hearted appeals for a penalty but nothing was given, and the playmaker was replaced by Charles Clayden for the final 20 minutes.

By now the game was pretty much over and a final chance for Davison saw his header go just wide from the right of the six-yard box.

The dominant display sees Charlton up to third in the table and now six games unbeaten.

Charlton U23s: Harness, Yao, Doughty, Vennings, Oshilaja, Mingi, Powell, Odoh (French 77), Davison, Oztumer (Clayden 70), Isiaka (Ocran 84)

Subs (not used): Harvey, Henry

Goals: Isiaka (9), Vennings (24), Powell (28)

[Report by Lewis Phillips]

[Photo by Tom West]

Read Time: 3 mins