REPORT | QPR 2 Charlton 2

Stoppage time was Charlton's friend as Naby Sarr stole in for a late, late equaliser as the Addicks drew 2-2 at the Kiyan Prince Stadium.

Charlton have suffered in stoppage time in recent weeks, conceding in each of the last two games, but struck right at the end to secure an important point at QPR.

For Sarr it was a perfect way to celebrate his 100th appearance for the club after the Addicks responded well to a slow start.

Geoff Cameron opened the scoring for the home side, who started the better, but a change in shape, as the Addicks moved from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2, made a big difference and Lyle Taylor equalised in the 57th minute. It looked like Marc Pugh had won it for QPR in the 70th minute before Sarr's late heroics.

Taylor was back in the Charlton starting line-up for the first time since suffering an injury in September. He was one of two changes with Alfie Doughty also returning to the team as Jason Pearce and Albie Morgan moved to the bench. The change in personnel meant Chalrton started in a traditional 4-4-2 formation.

QPR began well and took the lead in the sixth minute when Geoff Cameron slammed home on the half-volley in the six yard box after the Addicks failed to clear an Ebere Eze free kick.

Charlton nearly struck back immediately. Ben Purrington’s deflected cross found it’s way to Taylor at the front post, whose effort on the slide was blocked away by Rangers’ goalkeeper Joe Lumley.

The home side could have gone 2-0 up in the 15th minute when Eze’s cross from the left was nodded down by Jordan Hugill but Nakhi Wells’ header clipped the bar and went over.

Taylor was at the heart of things as Charlton pressed again but his shot on the turn, from a clever Conor Gallagher free kick was blocked behind for a corner. 

QPR though were in control of the game and should have gone 2-0 up when they countered from the resulting corner. Purrington’s underhit backpass put Wells through one-on-one with Dillon Phillips, with no Charlton player in sight. The Addicks academy graduate stood up brilliantly and somehow kept Wells out to keep his side in the game.

Bowyer reacted immediately bringing Pearce on for his 100th appearance, as the Addicks moved to a 3-5-2 formation, and the visitors began to find their feet in the game. 

As half-time approached Charlton had four chances as the control of the game began to switch. 

Gallagher saw a deflected shot kicked away by Lumley, a Taylor header went wide and Lumley also got a leg to a cross from the dangerous Alfie Doughty. 

The best chance fell on the stroke of half-time, Gallagher’s cross from the left went across goal and it looked like Taylor just needed to toe it into the net but Toni Leistner just got there first. 

The first sight of goal of the second half saw Gallagher curl just wide after two Charlton corners.

At the other end Phillips denied Eze and Tom Lockyer was fouled as the Charlton defender tried to clear his lines.

The Addicks levelled just before the hour mark when a cleared corner fell to first half substitute Albie Morgan on the edge of the area. The academy graduate’s powerful strike was very deliberately turned towards goal by Taylor just inside the six-yard goal – a true poacher’s finish – for his sixth goal of the season. 

Despite some good pressure from Charlton, the home side took the lead again in the 70th minute. Substitute Bright Osayi-Samuel had only been on the pitch for three minutes but danced dangerously to the byline before passing across goal for Pugh to tap in at the back post.

Again Charlton responded and Taylor saw a header bounce back off the crossbar from a Lockyer knock down. 

Just a minute later Doughty cut into the box and it looked like his goalbound shot had deflected wide but QPR were given a goal kick and then the youngster got in at the back post from a dangerous Adam Matthews cross but couldn’t quite prod goalwards. 

The game was end-to-end and Phillips got down quick to deny Osayi-Samuel as the seconds continued to tick down. 

The late additions of Ilias Chair and Josh Scowen looked to have done enough to kill the game off but Sarr had other ideas.

The hail Mary for Charlton was a Phillips free kick that clipped a QPR head putting the makeshift striker through on goal. Sarr controlled with his first touch and passed home with his weaker right foot in front of the away end to the delight of the Charlton faithful.

QPR: Lumley, Kane, Hall (C), Cameron, Pugh (Chair 78), Amos (Scowen 78), Hugill, Eze, Manning, Wells (Osayi-Samuel 67), Leistner

Subs (not used): Barnes, Wallace, Smith, Scowen, Ball, Chair, Osayi-Samuel

Goals: Cameron 6, Pugh 70

Booked: Manning 53 (coming together with Morgan), Amos 55 (foul on Gallagher), Hugill 81 (foul on Lockyer)

Charlton: Phillips; Matthews, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington (Pearce 27); Leko (Morgan 12), Pratley (C), Gallagher, Doughty (Oshilaja 88); Taylor, Bonne

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Solly, Pearce, Ledley, Dempsey

Goals: Taylor 57, Sarr 90 + 5

Booked: Purrington 11 (foul on Kane), Pratley 17 (dissent), Morgan 53 (coming together with Manning), Matthews 89 (foul on Eze)

Referee: M Donohue

Attendance: 16,166 (2,787 from Charlton)

Read Time: 5 mins