REPORT | Charlton 3 Bristol City 2

Charlton were outstanding as they beat promotion contenders Bristol City 3-2 in a thrilling game at The Valley.

Macauley Bonne scored his seventh and eighth goal of the season before assisting Alfie Doughty for an 82nd minute winner as the Addicks ended a 11-game winless streak. 

The Addicks controlled the first half and were due their 1-0 lead but when City took a 2-1 lead on the hour the nerves began to reverberate around the Charlton faithful. Bonne had other ideas though and was crucial as his side took an important three points.  

Lee Bowyer opted for two changes from his team’s thrilling 2-2 draw at QPR. Deji Oshilaja and Albie Morgan replaced Ben Purrington, who moved to the bench and Jonathan Leko, one of 10 players on the Addicks’ injury list. Charlton started in the 3-5-2 formation they finished Saturday’s game in, with Darren Pratley operating in the middle of a back three and Oshilaja holding in midfield. 

The Addicks came out firing and Alfie Doughty had the first shot at goal, cutting in from the left but his right-footed effort went well wide of the post.

The visitors quietened the quick start with a long spell of possession but failed to create much with Famara Diedhiou dragging well wide the closest they came. 

Charlton began to take control of the game getting Morgan on the ball more and more. In the 15th minute Naby Sarr found Oshilaja in the channel on the left and his ball across goal came to Bonne whose first time effort was blocked behind for a corner.

Five minutes later and Morgan drilled an effort just over the crossbar.

Lyle Taylor was next to test the visitors’ defence but saw his 28th minute shot blocked behind after collecting from Gallagher who had intercepted a poor Ashley Williams pass. 

The Charlton pressure increased and Tomas Kalas just beat Bonne to a very dangerous Adam Matthews cross from the right in the 35th minute. 

The Addicks took a deserved lead five minutes before the break when Albie Morgan played a perfectly-weighted lofted ball in behind the Robins defence for Bonne. The Zimbabwe international made no mistake lobbing high over the onrushing Daniel Bentley from just outside the area. The Valley faithful held their breathe nervously as the ball bounced just inside the six yard box and then into the back of the net.

On the stroke of half-time Taylor poked a Charlton free kick goalwards but Bentley was able to gather comfortably. 

The visitors levelled within a minute of the second half starting when Andreas Weimann headed home a cross from substitute Niclas Eliasson. 

Charlton were unlucky to see the ball bounce off the crossbar when Sarr’s header hit a Bristol defender and bounced back off the crossbar. 

City took the lead on the hour mark when a ball deflected in behind the Charlton defence and Eliasson was first to pounce, passing through the legs of Addicks’ goalkeeper Dillon Phillips.

The Addicks weren’t stopping and a deep Matthews cross was headed at goal by Bonne in the 70th minute but Bentley was able to gather comfortably.  

Bonne scored his second of the game and eighth of the season in the 77th minute as the visitors looked to tire. A long ball from Phillips was flicked on initially by Bonne and then by Taylor. Bonne battled with Kalas to get on the end of the flick and his determination was rewarded as the ball sat up perfectly for the striker to smash past Bentley with his weaker right foot. 

Charlton then went in front through Doughty. Tom Lockyer played a lovely ball into the right wing channel for Bonne, the striker’s driven cross across goal was met by Doughty whose first effort was blocked but bounced back to him as he slid in, to tap in. 

Despite an extended period of stoppage time Charlton were able to hold on for three points.

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Pratley (C), Sarr; Matthews, Oshilaja, Morgan (Pearce 86), Gallagher (Purrington 52), Doughty (Solly 90+2); Taylor Bonne

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Ledley, Vennings, Davison

Goals: Bonne 40, 77, Doughty 82

Booked: Bonne 32 (foul on Moore)

Bristol City: Bentley, Hunt (Eliasson 46), Nagy, Brownhill (C), Diedhiou, Weimann, Kalas, Moore, Rowe (Dasilva 46), Williams, Massengo (O’Dowda 83)

Subs (not used): Gilmartin, Wright, Smith, Semenyo

Goals: Weimann 46, Eliasson 60

Booked: Brownhill 18 (foul on Morgan)

Referee: K Stroud

Attendance:18,058 (1,260 from Bristol)

Read Time: 4 mins