WOMEN'S REPORT | Leicester City Women 2 Charlton Athletic Women 2

An action-packed second half saw all four goals scored within 11 minutes of each other as the Addicks took a point on the road at Leicester.

An outstanding performance from Lily Woodham saw her involved in both goals, scoring the first and winning the penalty for the second.

In a fiery contest, which saw seven yellow cards, it was Charlton who started the game on the front foot, gaining the first chance of the game in the second minute.

Grace Coombs pinged a lovely ball out wide to Woodham who delivered an equally impressive cross into the box which met Estcourt, who just couldn’t get enough on the ball to convert.

Just a minute later the Addicks won a free-kick right at the edge of the box, Woodham’s strike bounced off the wall and Lilli Maple’s rebound effort flew over the bar.

The hosts slowly grew into the game, with a lot of play contested in the middle of the pitch.

Jenna Legg did brilliantly to constantly pressure Leicester goalkeeper Demi Lambourne, forcing her into errors.

The beginning of an action-packed second half saw the Addicks take the lead through an excellent Woodham goal just two minutes after the restart.

The forward received the ball on the left wing and breezed her way past the Leicester defence to coolly slot the ball into the back of the net.

The Addicks’ lead only lasted four minutes, as Leicester equalised through a thunderous Paige Bayley-Gayle strike in the 51st minute.

The Foxes were then awarded a penalty just two minutes later, and former Addick Charlie Devlin converted the spot-kick to give the hosts the lead.

Straight from kick-off Leicester almost snatched a third, Ella Rutherford surged down the left wing and slammed an effort into the side netting.

Just a minute later, Charlton were awarded a penalty as Woodham was hacked down in the box.

Charley Clifford made no mistakes from the spot and sent Lambourne the wrong way to get the Addicks level again.

The rest of the game saw the sides battle it out for a winner, with much of the game being an exciting end to end contest.

Charlton committed a string of fouls near the hour mark, but Leicester couldn’t capitalise from their free-kicks, with the Charlton defence holding strong.

The Addicks hacked the ball off the line in the 67th minute from a Leicester corner as the hosts were piling on the pressure.

Leicester continued to press in the latter stages but to no avail as Charlton defended superbly to stifle the attacks.

The hosts claimed for a penalty in the 92nd minute as Rutherford went down in the box, but the shouts were waved away by the referee.

The Addicks are back on the road next weekend as they face Blackburn Rovers on Sunday, March 1st.

Charlton: Startup, Newborough, Coombs, Clifford, Woodham, Estcourt (Watling 76), Griffiths (Laudat 68), Legg, Maple, Heuchan, Mustaki

Subs (not used): Salgado, Espinosa, Gardien, Janbu Eide

Yellow cards: Woodham (17), Maple (63), Newborough (88)

Goals: Woodham (47), Clifford (58)

Leicester: Lambourne, Johnson, Morgan, Cataldo (James 57), Devlin, Paul, Thomas, Bayley-Gayle, Brown (Everett 57), Rutherford, Plumptre

Subs (not used): Field, Smith, Crossman, Popple, Johnson

Yellow cards: Brown (22), Cataldo (57), Everett (74), Rutherford (78)

Goals: Bayley-Gayle (51), Devlin (54)

Read Time: 3 mins