REPORT | MK Dons 0 Charlton 1

Liam Millar’s first goal as a Charlton player was enough for a battling Addicks to beat MK Dons 1-0.

Charlton pressed high during the opening periods, earning themselves an 18th minute lead which they defended resolutely despite large spells of possession from the home side.

Lee Bowyer handed a full debut to Jayden Stockley after his impressive appearance from the bench in Saturday’s draw against Swindon Town. The striker was one of four changes as the Addicks lined up in a 4-4-2 formation. 

The Addicks first attempt at goal, from the high press, came when Darren Pratley won the ball high up the pitch and found Stockley whose shot from 22 yards was palmed away by Andrew Fisher.

Andrew Shinnie’s deep cross nearly found Millar lurking but Fisher was able to claim just in time.

Charlton took an 18th minute lead with a well-worked goal from the right wing. Stockley’s clever lay-off was perfectly into the path of Conor Washington whose curled right-footed cross found an unmarked Millar at the back post. The Liverpool loanee was able to take a touch before confidently driving past Fisher.

After the early Charlton pressure the home side were able to work themselves into the game, Matt O’Riley saw a shot deflected wide but it was from set pieces that Russell Martin’s side were most dangerous. From in-swinging corners from the Charlton left, the in-form Joe Mason saw a header hit the post and Harry Darling later headed straight at Ben Amos as the Addicks went in 1-0 up at half time.

Charlton started the second half well with Jake Forster-Caskey curling a free kick onto the roof of the net before Fisher was out quickly to deny Millar a second after a deadly counter attack and smart pass from substitute Ronnie Schwartz. 

Amos did an excellent job to get out quickly to collect at the feet of Ethan Laird while at the other end Millar continued to be the dangerman and shot over from a tight position.

Like the first half, as the second half went on, the home side began to see more of the ball and Ben Gladwin’s driven shot went just past Amos’ post. With time running out for MK Dons substitute Matthew Sorinola saw a deflected shot just clear the crossbar. 

The Addicks defence was solid and organised, defending well through the second half and four minutes of stoppage time for an important three points.

Milton Keynes Dons: Fisher, Lewington (C), Darling, Gladwin (Brown 81), Fraser, Laird (Sorinola 81), O’Hora, O’Riley (Thompson 64), Mason, Harvie (Poole 81), Jerome

Subs (not used): Nicholls, Sorensen, Johnson

Booked: O’Riley 28 (foul on Pratley), Thompson 87 (foul on Aneke)

Charlton: Amos; Matthews, Gunter, Oshilaja, Purrington; Shinnie (Morgan 68), Pratley (C), Forster-Caskey, Millar (Pearce 90); Stockley (Aneke 68), Washington (Schwartz 51)

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Watson, Williams

Booked: Oshilaja 86 (kicking the ball away)

Referee: D Whitestone

Read Time: 3 mins