10 great games to remember from last season

Take a look back at our pick of 10 great games this season.

Extended highlights from all the games in the 2018/19 season are available on Valley Pass, as well as pre-game and post-game interviews with Lee Bowyer. Valley Pass costs just £6.50 per month and you can sign up here.

EFL League One, Saturday, August 11th 2018, Charlton 2-1 Shrewsbury

The Addicks kicked off their home campaign in dramatic fashion with a stoppage time goal ensuring all 3 points stayed in South London.

After losing out in the playoffs to Shrewsbury last season, Charlton were eager to ensure that they would get some form of payback. The first half was a scrappy stalemate with neither side able to fashion any real chances.

Charlton switched things up at the interval and in the 62nd minute the change in formation looked to pay off, Lyle Taylor breaking the deadlock to score his first goal on The Valley turf. The cross from George Lapslie evaded two Charlton players but fell kindly for the lurking Taylor at the back post who headed home.

Despite Charlton’s dominance, Lennel John-Lewis found the net and looked to snatch a point with his headed effort that levelled things up for the Shrews.

It looked to be heading for a draw until Darren Pratley’s strength and crafty turn allowed him to tee up Karlan Grant to nod home in stoppage time in front of a jubilant covered end.

EFL League One, Saturday, September 29th 2018, Luton Town 2 Charlton 2 

Charlton travelled Just north of the Capital to face eventual League winners Luton Town in a game filled with twists and turns…

 A bright start from Charlton was rewarded when, with 23 minutes played Joe Aribo was tripped inside the penalty area leaving the referee with only one decision. To point to the spot. 

Tariqe Fosu, who had a lively start to tie stepped up and sent Hatters ‘keeper James Shea the wrong way. 

Despite Luton looking to claw one back, they failed to find an equaliser before the interval, James Collins coming closest for the home side only to see his celebrations cut short by the offside flag. 

After halftime, both sides looked formed their own chances until, with 74 minutes played, Harry Cornick levelled things up for The Hatters when he got onto the end of a flicked ball and was able to poke home past Jed Steer.

With just under 10 minutes remaining, Luton looked to have won it. Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu unleashed a vicious effort which rattled off the underside of the bar and Collins was first to arrive on the scene to prod home and give the hosts the lead with little left to play. 

Charlton weren’t to let this one slip completely though and mounted a late charge on Luton’s goal. Chance after chance came and went. Jason Pearce saw his header test the woodwork, Naby Sarr’s header was cleared off the line and Aribo also saw his effort crash against the frame of the goal. 

It looked as though it wouldn’t be Charlton’s day until an unlikely goal-scorer in the form of Chris Solly rose to the occasion. From a cleared corner Solly was able to latch on to the loose ball and volley home an equaliser, via a slight deflection, to send the away end of Kenilworth Road bonkers. 

EFL Trophy, Tuesday, October 9th 2018, Stevenage 0 Charlton Athletic 8 

A young Charlton side partook in a record-breaking performance on a cold October night at the Lamex Stadium, when they annihilated Stevenage 8-0. 

Despite some initial early pressure from the home side, Charlton quickly took control of the game and debutant Toby Stevenson began to show Stevenage what he had in store for them when he made a number of marauding runs down the left-hand side. 

After a number of chances were saved by Stevenage ‘keeper, Will Appleyard, Charlton finally made a breakthrough when the ball fell nicely for Darren Pratley who was able to slot home an easy tap in from 5 yards out. 

The floodgates then seemed to open on the Stevenage goal. Some good play from Charlton almost immediately after the restart resulted in Igor Vetokele picking out Toby Stevenson at the back stick and the youngster was able to slam a shot into the net from 10 yards out. 

With 34 minutes played, Charlton bagged a third. Mark Marshall drove at the defence before picking out Vetokele with a cross who nodded the ball down to Nicky Ajose who was able to force the ball in to really put the game in Charlton’s grasp before the break. 

After the restart Charlton continued their dominance and quickly notched a fourth goal. George Lapslie was picked out well by Ajose and he was able to play a pass across the face of goal to Vetokele who managed to get the ball in at the second attempt after his initial effort was saved by Appleyard. 

Charlton were far from over and When George Lapslie’s pass to Vetokele in the 58th minute was dummied by the Angolan forward many were surprised to see it trickle in via the frame of the goal. 

60 seconds later, Stevenson was able to make it 6-0 and put himself on a hat-trick when he curled in a wonderful strike with his weaker foot. 

And Stevenson wouldn’t have to wait long to get his hat-trick after Ajose was bundled down inside the area. With the referee pointing to the spot instructions for Stevenson to take the penalty came from the bench. And the youngster duly delivered Charlton’s Seventh from the spot, marking his debut hat-trick with a cool penalty into the bottom corner. 

George Lapslie broke the record with 4 minutes of regular time left to play when he was able to fire home Charlton’s 8th of the evening after being teed up by Ajose. 

This score line overtook Charlton’s previous record win from 1953 when The Addicks ran out as 8-1 victors over Middlesborough.

EFL League One, Saturday, October 20th 2018, Charlton 2-0 Barnsley

A bumper crowd at the Valley witnessed a professional 2-0 victory over high flyers Barnsley.

Barnsley were favourites to win the game on the basis of form but came unstuck in SE7 when Karlan Grant’s brace ensured that the Tykes would leave empty handed.

It only took 8 minutes for Charlton to get themselves in front when Jamie Ward was able to tee up Grant who tore into the box and rifled home a strike to make it 1-0 to Charlton.

Charlton arguably should have had a penalty when Dimitri Cavare brought down Grant inside the area following a superb ball from Jed Steer. The referee deemed no foul had occurred though and Charlton would have to continue the game with a single goal separating the sides,

Despite finally gaining possession in the later stages of the first half, Barnsley were kept quiet by a textbook defensive display from Charlton.

The referee was once again on hand to make a controversial call when he ruled out a Jason Pearce goal for an alleged foul, much to the frustration of most inside The Valley.

Charlton did get their second goal however when Taylor was able to squeeze a pass through to Grant who was able to convert from close range.

Reeves almost made it 3-0 in spectacular fashion, his in-swinging cross looked to go all the way only to be denied by a great improvised save from Adam Davies.

Charlton stayed professional throughout the remainder of the second half and injury time though and ensured that a clean sheet paired with all 3 points was theirs.

EFL League One, Saturday, January 19th 2019, Charlton 1-0 Accrington Stanley

Fiery Atmosphere. Passion. Last minute goal in front of the covered end. This game had it all.

A never-say-die performance from The Addicks, against a stern Accrington Stanley, was rewarded in dramatic fashion thanks to a last-minute penalty converted by Karlan Grant.

The visitors took control of the game early on and fired a few warning shots over and wide of Dillon Phillips’ goal.

Lyle Taylor produced a glorious opportunity to open the scoring when Jonny Williams teed up the striker who fizzed in a low drive that was begging to be tapped home but evaded everyone.

Accrington also had their chances and on 40 minutes were only denied by a brave save from Phillips who spread himself to keep out a Luke Armstrong effort from close range.

In the second half Charlton looked to put pressure on Accy. Taylor and Grant both spurning chances for the Addicks as the game became increasingly heated.

With 10 minutes remaining it finally boiled over. Krystian Bielik looked to have scored for Charlton only for referee John Busby to rule it out for a foul, a large scuffle ensued between the two teams resulting in red cards for both Jonny Maxted and Lyle Taylor.

With the game reduced to a 10v10 Charlton continued to pile the pressure on and in the 93rd minute Ben Reeve’s strike was judged to have hit a defender’s arm.

The referee pointed to the spot and Karlan showed icy veins when he slammed home his penalty in front of The Covered End. Cue mad celebrations and 3 very big points in Charlton’s hunt for promotion…

EFL League One, Saturday, March 9th 2019, Charlton 2-1 Portsmouth

A huge game at the top end of the table as Portsmouth made the trip to the capital as both sides looked to keep chase on promotion.

Goals from Joe Aribo and Lyle Taylor meant Charlton took all three points under the lights and in front of the cameras.

With Bowyer having to watch from the stands, Charlton dominated. Josh Cullen almost opened his scoring account for the Addicks only to be denied by teammate Igor Vetokele who couldn’t get out of the way of his strike.

Charlton persisted and their goal did come. Krystian Bielik starting a move which cumulated in Ben Purrington slipping the ball through to Cullen who was able to find Aribo who turned and guided his shot low and past Craig MacGillivray.

Despite Charlton’s dominance, they would go in at half time level as Ronan Curtis rifled home his header to equalise for Portsmouth.

The second half began and there was added concern for the Addicks when Bielik had to go off injured and make way for Ben Reeves. Charlton continued without the midfielder however, with Josh Cullen Picking up where Bielik left off in that role.

Charlton’s perseverance paid off when the ball squirmed through to Taylor who stabbed home for his 17th goal of the season.

With the score at 2-1 Charlton began to shut Portsmouth out. In the twilight exchanges of the match Pompey did their best to snatch another equaliser. Patrick Bauer’s brave body-on-the-line block ensured that Charlton would take all 3 points though and kept Charlton in the thick of the promotion chase. 

EFL League One, Saturday, April 13th 2019, Charlton 3 Luton Town 1 

Charlton produced arguably their finest showing of the regular season against table toppers Luton Town at The Valley in April. After going a goal behind The Addicks rallied and produced a fantastic comeback to ensure that all 3 points remained in SE7. 

Charlton started brightly and formed a number of early chances but it was Luton who would take an early lead. 

Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu timed a pass to Harry Cornick perfectly and Cornick was able to slam a shot high into the top right beyond the reach of Dillon Phillips. 

Both the Charlton players and Supporters rallied and looked to force an equaliser before the interview. Lyle Taylor came agonisingly close when he was set up but Igor Vetokele, only to see his effort crash off the upright. 

Everyone in a red shirt inside The Valley was left outraged when Luton stopper, James Shea avoided what could have been a red card after he flattened Vetokele who looked to be in on goal. 

The supporters were left even more outraged when Jonny Williams was seemingly fouled inside the penalty area following a swift Charlton counter, but the referee waved away the appeals. 

After the restart Charlton kept on pressing and in the 53rd minute they finally won a penalty. Taylor was brought down by Luton skipped Sonny Bradley and he made no mistake from the spot by placing it calmly into the corner to level things up for The Addicks. 

Vetokele began to search for a goal that would put Charlton ahead and he finally found it with 70 minutes on the clock. Bielik was able to pick a ball up in the centre of the pitch and slip it through to Vetokele who was able to get his shot away first time and find the net, 

Vetokele would then play his part in Charlton’s goal to seal their victory. The Angolan teeing up Taylor who was able to force the ball in to ensure that Charlton would see out the game with a two-goal cushion. 

EFL League One Play-offs, Sunday, May 12th 2019, Doncaster Rovers 1 Charlton 2 

Charlton went into the play-off having finished 3rd and with a good run of form behind them. 

And they looked to make it count from the off. Josh Parker looked to get the better of Andy Butler and poke home for what would have been his first goal in a Charlton shirt. The referee was to quash the celebrations however after ruling out the strike for a foul on Butler. 

Parker almost did get the opening goal after 20 minutes when Ben Purrington curled in a weighted cross only for Parker to head a fraction wide. 

Doncaster began to form chances of their own and Danny Andrew came tantalisingly close for Donny when he leathered a free kick from distance only to see it collide of the top of the bar. 

Josh Cullen was powering The Addicks from midfield and so it is no surprise that he played a part in Charlton’s opener. After seeing a corner come back to him, Cullen was able to fizz in a low cross which Taylor was able to dive in and direct home with his head. 

Charlton were to double their lead soon after when Taylor found an overlapping Aribo who was able to guide the ball past Marko Marosi from a tight angle. 

With the bench and the packed away end going berserk with celebrations, Charlton almost notched a third when Albie Morgan saw his drive tipped over by the Doncaster keeper. 

Charlton kept up the pressure in the second half and with 73 they came close to putting the tie beyond all doubt when Taylor was able to find Cullen only to see his header well saved by Marosi. 

Charlton continued to search for that elusive third goal, but it was Doncaster who would score next. 

Malik Wilks was able to play in a cross which pinged around before falling for Matty Blair who was able to stab home under the crossbar. 

Despite a nervy finish Charlton were able to see out the win to take a goal advantage back to South London… 

EFL League One play-offs - second leg, Friday, May 17th 2019, Charlton 2 Doncaster 3 (4-4 on Aggregate) (Charlton win 4-3 on pens) 

Charlton booked their first trip to Wembley in 21 years when they edged a dramatic shootout after a nail-biting 120 minutes of football. 

Charlton headed into the game with their one goal advantage and quickly made it two when Krystian Bielek notched an early goal following a crafty free kick drill from Josh Cullen. 

The goal sent a packed-out Valley into overdrive and Charlton fans could be forgiven for thinking that they should begin to look ahead to Wembley. 

Tommy Rowe was on hand to kick start what would be a topsy turvy night in SE7 though. 

With 11 minutes gone the Doncaster captain found himself in plenty of space and was able to beat Dillon Phillips with a low drive from distance. 

John Marquis was almost able to find the equaliser just moments later when he was able to hook in behind the Charlton defence and force a low save from Phillips. 

Charlton looked to wrestle back control and get a grip on the game. And with half time approaching Charlton would feel hard done by after Andrew Butler looked to have blocked the ball with his arm inside the area, the referee was not interested in the Charlton appeals and the tow sides went in at half-time 1-1 on the night but with the Addicks still holding a 3-2 aggregate score-line.

Darren Pratley’s arrival at the interval saw Charlton switch to a 3-5-2 formation and the games intensity rose…

Rovers controlled large parts of the second half but were unable to really threaten the Charlton goal. 

With two minutes of regular time left to play, Butler was able to get onto the end of a corner and beat Phillips to send the game to extra time with an aggregate score of 3-3. 

Doncaster were on the front foot going into extra time and they would soon take the lead. Malik Wilks was able to catch out the Charlton defence and pick out an unmarked Marquis who was able to glance home a header. 

Before anyone could even comprehend how Doncaster had turned the tie around Darren Pratley made himself a hero and managed to get onto the end of a drilled Lyle Taylor pass and guided the ball home. The game was going to penalties… 

Solly stepped up and scored as did Cullen, Taylor and Aribo before Phillips was able to save Marquis’ spot kick.

Naby Sarr had to score to send Charlton to Wembley but saw his spot kick saved. 

Rowe stepped up to take the spot kick that would level things up for Doncaster but blasted it wide causing mad celebrations that spilled onto the pitch. Charlton were going to Wembley. 

EFL League One Play-Off final, Sunday, May 26th 2019, Charlton 2 Sunderland 1 

Charlton’s first trip to Wembley in 21 years was against the very same opposition. 

Sunderland may have been looking for some revenge after the dramatic 4-4 Division One play-off final of 1998 and the football gods looked to be smiling on them when, in the fifth minute, Charlton went behind in bizarre circumstances. 

Naby Sarr looked to pass back to Dillon Phillips only for Dillon to misjudge the pass and see the ball roll past his foot and into an empty net. 

Despite the horrendous error, the 38,000 strong Charlton end of Wembley got behind the team as they had done all season. 

After Grant Leadbitter unleashed a powerful low drive which Phillips was at full stretch to save, Charlton began to ease into the game. 

The Addicks began to form a number of half chances, the best coming to Lyle Taylor when Ben Purrington picked him out but the Monserrat international couldn’t keep his volleyed effort down. 

Charlton did get the leveller 35 minutes into the game. Some incredibly good football from Dijksteel, Aribo and Taylor resulted in a pass across the face of goal which Ben Purrington was able to latch on to the end of and direct home for his first senior goal. 

The Charlton fans were going potty and they were really getting behind the team now. 

After half time Charlton continued their dominance but were unable to force a goal to put them ahead. Jonny Williams replaced Darren Pratley and the fresh legs ensured that the pressure stayed on Sunderland. 

With four minutes of stoppage time indicated, Charlton mounted a late charge. Cullen picked out Patrick Bauer with a free kick and the German was unable to keep it on target. 

There would come one more chance for the way of Charlton though. 

Parker was fouled on the left wing and the referee awarded a free kick. The free kick was taken short and Cullen was able to make enough space to get a cross into the box. The ball bounced around before Bauer launched himself at it and managed to steer it home via a deflection with merely six seconds left on the clock. 


Charlton were going back to the Championship.

Supporters can relive every goal from this season with our highlights from every game on Valley Pass. Valley Pass costs just £6.50 per month.

Charlton season tickets are back on sale and for a limited time the club are offering Championship football at League One pricing.

Read Time: 17 mins